GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Painting Issues

Default Painting Issues

I have been really been wanting to paint my frame a little but every time i do a little I seem to get over spray on the body and have to buff it off( Not sure how it sticks with the huge amount of wax that I have on my truck).
    Any ideas on how i can do this without getting over spray on the body?
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Take the body off? I don't know, but I'm definitely interested to see other responses as I've considered doing the same once I get the lift put on. What color are you painting it?

And MTM, I love your posts. You're always looking for some of the most random things to do yourself to your truck. That alone was worth of the ROTM win in my opinion.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh something did occur to me. Simple and straight forward... Try taping the heck out of the body to allow for overspray. This is something that came to me with no help whatsoever. And since it's above Surreal's answer, I obviously thought of it first. And this isn't an edit after the matter. I've just been training my psychic powers. So, Surreal will say something similar next.
    Last edited by Jeremy09LTZCrew; 04-17-2012 at 11:17 PM.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

A drop cloth and masking tap work wonders.

Masking tape and old newspapers work good too and cheap.

Old Newspapers is also great for cleaning windows, no lint.

What those ^ guys said. Mask it off. A huge roll of visquine is good with the blue painters tape.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I usually use masking paper. Garbage bags make a mess when you remove it and there is paint overspray on it. Paint also soaks through newspaper. Just use the stuff designed to mask off bodywork.
    Sometimes the best part of my job is that my chair swivels.

Sounds like i have some good things to try.thanks

Home Depot sells blue painters tape and different width masking paper just for this purpose, not to expensive either.
    They also have some masking paper with the tape already on the edge.

Masking paper is great if you are doing a full repaint with a full paint system, but if you are just under your truck with a spraybomb, newspaper will be fine. Pick up a cheap plastic drop cloth 9x 20. 1.97 walmart. Cover the truck with the plastic and fine edge the truck with 3/4" masking tape, run your paper up over the edge of the plastic, tape all the joints between pieces of paper and the top edge to the plastic. Don't forget to seal off your gap between bed and cab. I just wad paper up and stuff it in the gap.Stuff a pretty big wad in the to make sure you have not leaks.

Try not to paint it with a super soaker from across the lawn on a windy day.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)