GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 07 Silverado 1500 NBS Final Drive Ratio

Hey guys,

I bought the truck used w/34000 miles on it about a year ago and I'm unsure of what my final drive ratio is. I found something about the standard ratio on all Silverado 1500's in 07 being 3.42:1, but I'm unsure if my truck was special ordered w/3.73's or not. Mileage and acceleration lead me to believe I got stuck w/the 3.42's...but is there any way to find specs on what my truck came with? Unfortunately I don't have the window sticker or anything. If not, do any of you know what RPM I would be running at a certain speed and gear w/either set of gears and factory 31" OD tires? It is an ECSB 4WD/AWD LTZ. It does not have the Z71 package, but I know from some testing last winter that I do have a locking rear diff on it.

If I do end up having 3.42's is it worth it to change out to 3.73's? What type of mileage hit would I take? I pull a 6x12 v-nose enclosed and will soon be getting a toy hauler bumper pull camper. I have a car to make my daily work commute during non-winter months, so a slight loss in mileage won't hurt me too bad.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Look in your glovebox and match the RPO codes to one of these and that will be your rear gears.

GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
    GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
    GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
    GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
    GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
    G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

If you are going to regear, go 4.10's. It will pull your load alot better and you won't take that big of a hit on hwy MPG. My truck is a 4.10 07 Classic and when it was stock I was getting 16.7 in town and 20 on the hwy.

It's all about the RPO. I wish they'd come stock with the 3.73, but I guess it doesn't really matter since I'll be regearing when I get the lift anyway. It's still enough to do anything needed right now.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post
    Look in your glovebox and match the RPO codes to one of these and that will be your rear gears.

GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
    GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
    GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
    GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
    GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
    G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

If you are going to regear, go 4.10's. It will pull your load alot better and you won't take that big of a hit on hwy MPG. My truck is a 4.10 07 Classic and when it was stock I was getting 16.7 in town and 20 on the hwy.
    Thanks for the information! That is exactly what I needed. I checked and it looks like I have 3.73's and a limited slip.

So, my question is: is it worth it to me to consider going to 4.10's? I still use the truck as a daily driver sometimes when I get tired of the gas saver. From what I figure, that would be about a 9% increase in RPM's at highway cruising speed (70-80 mph most of the time for me). I can see the effects going either way. With more mechanical advantage in the city the engine works less hard to get to speed from a stop. At highway speeds although the RPM's are slightly increased it could allow the truck to be in 4 cylinder mode more often as it requires less power to maintain speed. I pull my enclosed probably 30 times a year, but never any longer than a couple hour drive. When I get a toy hauler (half ton towable of course), I may take some longer trips to race GNCC's, so I have a feeling 4.10's would be very beneficial pulling that heavier load.

Does anyone have experience w/4.10's and 3.73's and the differences that the gearing change made? Thanks again guys.

It's not worth the cash for such a little gain to go 4.10s. on stock size tires, plus if you do lift it and go bigger tires, worry about a 4.56 then. As long as you are rolling stock, keep what ya got and enjoy your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post
    It's not worth the cash for such a little gain to go 4.10s. on stock size tires, plus if you do lift it and go bigger tires, worry about a 4.56 then. As long as you are rolling stock, keep what ya got and enjoy your truck.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. It wouldn't be much of a difference either way. I highly doubt that I'll do anything lift wise with this truck. I just don't like lifts or levels on 1/2 ton trucks for towing purposes. Thanks!