GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

so let me get this right, the spider gears are in the carrier? and thats what is stripped out? . i heard setting the gears is really hard and ive never done rear ends before

I don't mess with rear ends. I have seen a few guys do their own and end up blowing the rearend out quickly. I would call around, you might find someone to do it for under $600.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

From what I see in the pictures you have a lot to work with; show your pictures to a shop and I bet they can give you a ballpark price for a rebuild.

Jr. Apprentice

Definalty shop around at different yards if you are going for a complete rear-end. If you tell them what ahppend when looking for it , some pards will charge more because it is important.. so just ask for a cost and not give them the story. Also check around your area for a 4x4 club, or something similar. Those guys would know who could do a re-build for you and a ballpark cost.
    Hope it goes well.
    Rob - Campbell River, B.C.
    1997 GMC Jimmy SLT
    2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4

You have ruined the spider gear on the driver side. The truck won't roll because it is a single track carrier, not posi. Easy to replace and not expensive. Don't even have to pull the carrier out, but you do have to pull the axles part way out.

Just check everything to make sure you didn't ruin any of the other bearings, and prepare to clean out the case as much as possible.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Here you go. $83 bucks if nothing else is torn up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-Ch...sories&vxp=mtr
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

how come the parts inside the rear end are of any 10 bolt 373 but the junk yard says a rear end will only fit out of a 99-00 silverado 10 bolt 373 gt4 option?

The ring looks good so the pinion gear is prob fine. I would just replace the spider gears and see what happens. They are very easy to get out and new ones pop right in. The only thing i would worry about is getting all of the shrapnel out of there so it doesnt ruin other parts. I dont know for sure bc mine is the Eaton posi but there should be a little bolt on the carrier holding the center pin in, take that out and rotate the gear slowly and push out the pin. Then spin the axles one at a time to remove the upper and lower. Then push the axles in and use a magnet to pull out the c-clips and pull the axles out. Then the side gears fall out. Not a big deal. Take some pics of the gears when u get them out.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jstephens View Post
    how come the parts inside the rear end are of any 10 bolt 373 but the junk yard says a rear end will only fit out of a 99-00 silverado 10 bolt 373 gt4 option?
    The axle housings are different between models and some may have the eaton posi which is a completely different carrier
    Last edited by shibby2oo8; 04-26-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123