GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Transmission not shifting 2000 silverado 2500

2000 chevy silverado 2500 A/T.

ok, well i had the issue with my guages, i just ended up re-wireing them in because the feed off the fuse box was putting out bearly any voltage, so i thought that was messing up my truck not shifting. but basicly i have no overdrive or 3rd, well im assuming no third but i may, if i was to go 50 my truck will be rev'd up to around 300-3500 rpm's. now i know people with similar issues have said it could be a ignition switch, now is there a simple way to test/fix a bad electrical part on the ignition switch? also the wire i replaced was the ign 1 fuse box wire.
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Dear Members, I'm not a certified mechanic i just have a decent knowledge and about 4 years of hands on experience, I'm no way close to a expert but I'm trying to give my best input so bear with my responses please, thanks

So did it go into 3rd before you fixed the wiring?

Mud Truck
    1984 Chevy K5 Blazer
    -454 Edelbrock V8
    -33" BFG Mud Tires

Daily Driver
    2006 Chevy Silverado K1500 LT Z71 - 5.3 V8
    -Bull Bar
    -Step Bars
    -Flowmaster 40 with dual tailpipes
    -Smoked Tails

Sr. Engineer

No 3rd or 4th sounds like clutches http://www.twincharlotte.com/transmi...r-Charlotte-NC
    RESIDENT NUT.....MY CLAIM TO FAME .....

Are you rebuilding it?
    02 Silverado 2500hd|496ci bigblock|Botch fuel pump replacement|True dual Magnaflows|UV-10 Jensen head unit|All four speaker Kickers|Kicker tweeters|10in Kicker sub|250watt Kicker Amp|Volant Cold Airintake|PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer|33in Nitto Trail Grapplers|8000k Hid Halo Lights

Sr. Apprentice

its not a clutch issue, and it stoped shifting when the guages started to die out, i hard wired gauges just so i wouldnt loose tach or speed due to fact that with tranny not shifting i wanted to keep good eye on all my gauges, its something electrical because it will shift into 3rd or overdrive randomly but kicks itself out of it basicly right after shifting into it
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Dear Members, I'm not a certified mechanic i just have a decent knowledge and about 4 years of hands on experience, I'm no way close to a expert but I'm trying to give my best input so bear with my responses please, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steverocks6 View Post
    its not a clutch issue, and it stoped shifting when the guages started to die out, i hard wired gauges just so i wouldnt loose tach or speed due to fact that with tranny not shifting i wanted to keep good eye on all my gauges, its something electrical because it will shift into 3rd or overdrive randomly but kicks itself out of it basicly right after shifting into it
    How many miles are on it? You'r trany is 12 years old honestly if I where you I would just replace it but that is just me.
    02 Silverado 2500hd|496ci bigblock|Botch fuel pump replacement|True dual Magnaflows|UV-10 Jensen head unit|All four speaker Kickers|Kicker tweeters|10in Kicker sub|250watt Kicker Amp|Volant Cold Airintake|PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer|33in Nitto Trail Grapplers|8000k Hid Halo Lights

Sr. Apprentice

just because the truck is 12 years old doesnt mean the tranny is, but its not a transmission issue its something electrical within the column or dash
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

4wd or 2wd?

Check your speed sensors, either on the back of the trans if 2wd, or on the transfer case if it is 4wd. If the system isn't reading the vehicle speed, it won't let it shift.

Is your speedometer working?
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

Sr. Engineer

Could be a lot of things vss...drac..speedo..tach..abs...maf..tps...map...e cm...bad wire in harness ...bad ground..ignition switch.
    brake switch ..list goes on. Need to scan it for codes will sure help get you in right direction .
    RESIDENT NUT.....MY CLAIM TO FAME .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast