GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice

If it is in the rear end (which it sounds like), it could be as easy as a locking bolt broke or the clips fell out, or it could be stripped/broken gearing. You won't really be able to tell until you take the cover off and take a look. So first find out what is broken/dislodged, then price out the parts and a new reaer end for the best value (sometimes things just aren't worth rebuilding).
    Rob - Campbell River, B.C.
    1997 GMC Jimmy SLT
    2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4

start small first......get your test meter out and see if your actuator is working correctly. If that passes the tests.....Have someone help you by laying where the driveshalft is visible and out of tire track way. See if the rear shaft spins. Could be MANY possible issues. If the front moves the truck....the T case is ruled out. You should have 2 actuators but may only have one. If its push button, it could possibly even be in the switches themselves. Like I said.....if switches and actuators check out to be good.....start looking at transmission issue or rear. Those rears are famous for breaking clips in the rear end and the axles not engaging. Good luck......hope your are able to fix it. REMEMBER......safety first......

got some time off and checked it out.. with it in 2wd in gear the drive shaft is moving but the wheels are not

Sounds like something in the differential/axle. Time to open the diff cover.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Wow, no clunking sound when driveshaft is spinning?
    I would start with pulling the rear cover off and checking the ring gear.
    Could also check the splines on the input shaft that the driveshaft connects too.

Every time I have had a major rear diff issue where it wouldn't roll, it made a bunch of noise when it happened.
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

It looks like the gear on the left is pretty much gone. Did you try jacking up the rear end and putting it in gear?(front tires blocked and jack stands in place of course) I would be curious if the right wheel moves. Looks like you will be rebuilding that rear end. I suggest replacing all the bearings while you are in there. Including the pinion bearing. It would suck to do the gear repair and find out in 5k miles that your pinion bearing went bad also.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

should i rebuild or jus buy a used one for 350?

i guess its 499.99 at the junk yard ouch!!..i might just have to let this one sit for awhile

I would keep looking around, That seems expensive. You can get a new carrier for that price. I can't see it but your ring and pinion are probably ok. So you would just need a carrier or to rebuild yours.
    You might find cheaper prices somewhere else. Call or stop by a local rear end shop, you might be surprised how cheap they might sell things
    Spider gear sets:
    http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/PartsL...4WD&DiffID=217
    Complete carrier:
    http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/PartsL...4WD&DiffID=217