GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Former Member

Well we sign for a 2012 2500HD later today. Its an upgraded WT, but its the nicest equipped one we found. Will post more later..

Congrats!!

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

Blog Entries

Congrats on the buy! Definite post up some pictures when you get a chance!

I still kick myself for not getting a 2500 when I had the chance, but now that I don't haul much of anything, the 1500 is fairly nice.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Former Member

I couldn't live without a 2500 anymore...between the trailer I have and the ability to haul whatever, whenever; its necessity for me...

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

We (mainly Wife) have put on over 500 miles since Thursday (trip to my folks and back). Netted 15.2 mpg (hand calc'd) going up (literally up, pull two mountains, and about 1000 feet in elevation overall). Had plenty of power, transmission actually doesn't shift enough (if that's hard to imagine) and we found in the hilly stuff, the Tow-Haul mode works very well. My folks were laying some pavers, so father and I ran to the local sand and gravel place for some sand (about 1,000 pounds) and it worked well (I didn't buy this truck to look at).

The Wife loves it, and my daughter (2 year old) approves! So I guess that's all that matters? I'm not going to compare my old truck to this one...in eight years, technology has improved and comparing a truck with 267k miles to a new on off the lot isn't really representative. But I do like the new truck, it rides nice, handles good. Figure I will run it to 1000 miles, change the oil; run it to 5k miles and change all the fluids...then I should be set for a while.

The only thing I wish this truck had (and its nothing major) would have been towing mirrors and maybe fog lights...but I can live without them.

truck looks great. Fog lights and mirrors can be added.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Looking for the snow plow prep can be a tough package to find... that is one of the limitations of the independent front suspension - they only put the snow plow prep on a very specific group of trucks because it will exceed the front GAWR on a lot of the crew cabs & such. Anyway, any truck newer than 2011 will be the most capable because 2011 was the frame/engine/drivetrain upgrade. The new-style 2007-2010 trucks didn't change much of the chassis & drivetrain from the 2001-2006 trucks, but in 2011 they went through and upgraded all of that - stronger frame, better axles, more gas engine power, etc.

good luck with your truck shopping

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    Looking for the snow plow prep can be a tough package to find... that is one of the limitations of the independent front suspension - they only put the snow plow prep on a very specific group of trucks because it will exceed the front GAWR on a lot of the crew cabs & such. Anyway, any truck newer than 2011 will be the most capable because 2011 was the frame/engine/drivetrain upgrade. The new-style 2007-2010 trucks didn't change much of the chassis & drivetrain from the 2001-2006 trucks, but in 2011 they went through and upgraded all of that - stronger frame, better axles, more gas engine power, etc.

good luck with your truck shopping

Two posts up, I already bought one...

The snow plow prep package wasn't hard to find around here (Pennsylvania), nor was the towing package; finding them together on a truck that was anything but a basic white work truck was the difficult part! Out of the trucks I looked at, more lacked the towing package than the plow prep package!

Congrats on the purchase bud! Blue granite metallic is by far my favorite color on these pickups. The mirrors and fog lights are all relatively easy and cheap to install as mentioned before. Glad you're liking your hd! I'm getting one myself soon, but a 2001.. and im only payin 800 for it hahahaha.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Two posts up, I already bought one...

The snow plow prep package wasn't hard to find around here (Pennsylvania), nor was the towing package; finding them together on a truck that was anything but a basic white work truck was the difficult part! Out of the trucks I looked at, more lacked the towing package than the plow prep package!
    Congrats on the new truck! For whatever reason, my computer didn't show that there were 2 pages to this thread when I posted earlier, so I was just going by what was on the first page.

And, like others have said, adding tow mirrors is super easy and relatively cheap for a WT model. Factory fog lights would be a bit pricey on that truck because they would involve replacing the front bumper with the one that has the openings for them. Aftermarket ones would be inexpensive and relatively easy though, so it sounds like you got all of the features that are most important to you.

I bought a 2012 2500HD diesel recently to replace my '97 K1500. It's a nice truck, except for the unnecessarily large size. It's too bad GM doesn't offer a truck like my '97, and another with a "mild lift". It has the new smog equipment (started in 2011, as far as I can tell) but the engine seems to run fine. I suggest you check out the rear view camera. It's hard to see smaller cars directly behind you. A somewhat lower cost option just beeps when you as you approach another car when backing up. After a few accidents, either one will pay for itself.

If your wife is short or not too agile, the more expensive 6" oval running board works fine. My wife's foot slipped in the running board option that resembles a pipe but she is happy with the other one. It was worth the extra money to keep her happy.