GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 07 Windshield washer fuse? or pump?

Washer suddenly stopped working. Van is chassis for my motorhome so has been parked sinice fall. Washer does not work. I find 3 fuses related to "wipers" but none for the washer. Before I tear the front of the van apart to get to the washer pump I would like to confirm the fuse and electrics are OK.

How can I check?

or do I need to disassemble the front of the van to get to the washer pump?

Check the leads to the pump with a volt meter while someone is pressing the button to operate the washer.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Well I would do that except the pump appears to be at the bottom of the tank. I can neither see the pump or even feel it. To get to the pump to sheck it i will need to pull the tank and to do that it appears i need to pull the grill plus more...

It will be very difficult to fix if you can't do any diagnostics on it. You are going to have to test the voltage at the pump to know whether or not the pump is bad.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Noticed I did not provide complete vehicle info. 2007 Chevy Express van 3500 6.0L

I went ahead and learned how to get to the pump without pulling the complete grill. (You just need to pull horn and reach way down to bottom of fluid tank.

Now I seem to have a strange problem.
    Disconnected wires from pump and tested with Vom got 12v for a couple of seconds when the washer was actuated so this means no electrical problems.

Pulled the pump and did a bench test and it ran.

Pluged the pump back into the harness but the pump does not run when the washer switch accuated.

Ideas?

Got input on another site but figured someone here migh need a solution too.
    Tried running a headlamp to see if I got current, not just a few volts.
    Headlamp did not light. Heard the relay clicking.
    Swapped the washer relay for the horn relay in the fuse box and then the washer worked.
    Got a new relay. All is well again
    Can only figure that the points in the relay were bad as I did get a voltage reading with the VOM but not enough current to run the pump.
    Thanks

Awesome! Glad you found the problem. Thanks also for posting the fix! Too many people forget to do that in their excitement of getting their stuff fixed!