GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default Cowl or Ram Air?

So whenever my wife calls the insurance company back to get the bed and hood fixed, I'll be getting a new hood. Since I need one anyway, I figured I might as well get the one I want. Therefore, I'm soliciting opinions. I was originally going to get the Ram Air, but I kind of like the cowl. I tend to say Ram Air due to the fact I'll be lifting my truck and it looks a little meaner. That being said, the Cowl looks kind of sleek and reserved but still unique. What do you think?

http://www.cervinis.com/07-12silvera...-air-hood.html

or

http://www.cervinis.com/07-12silverado-cowl-hood.html

No matter which I end up with, I'm also considering painting the side of the ram air ports or cowl black with the rest body matched. Just a little extra to match the rest of the black that will be going on the truck...

Btw, I'm looking at it from an aesthetic point of view. I know I won't see a performance increase unless I built the truck to track it or something similar.
    Last edited by Jeremy09LTZCrew; 04-19-2012 at 01:46 AM.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

im in the same boat you are but im more leaning toward the ram air i love the mean look on the trucks. Keep us post on what hood you go with since either one will turn out great

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

I felt that nostrils looked somehow wrong on my NBS truck, as it's got a good bit of curvature to the hood, so I' went with a cowl induction hood. On a lifted NNBS truck I'd probably tend toward a ram air hood if I could find one with slightly smaller (nor narrow) nostrils than what you have linked. The hood seems flatter on the NNBS trucks and a bit more suited to ram air, IMHO.

Surreal

P.S. I also chose cowl induction because you're not constantly picking bogies (bugs, leaves, etc.) out of it like you are with a set of ram air nostrils -- at least in this part of the world where you have to mow down a swath of forest if you want to put in a road.

Well, I guess I could also throw the following into the discussion since there's no reason I need to narrow my options:

https://www.ramairhood.com/store/scr...?idProduct=148

https://www.ramairhood.com/store/scr...p?idProduct=74

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/tw...GLE&ST_SRC=AFF

http://www.autoanything.com/body-kit...0A3118993.aspx

I think two of those might be the same. I forgot. The advantage from Auto Anything, is they'll paint it. The disadvantage with that over the cervinis is cost. But hey, I always preach, if you know what you want, save until you can get it...

AutoAnything is a vendor, here, and has a 15% discount for GMTC folks. Check Clark's sig for the code. You can find a post by him in this thread: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...#axzz1sUG5HL6f

I like this hood a lot ... at least in that pic:
    http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/tw...GLE&ST_SRC=AFF

That's why I try to find things on autoanything first. Between the discount and the free shipping I haven't been able to find anyone to beat their prices, to include ebay vendors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_299.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	37945I got the best of both , Ram Air Style, And Cowl Induction

I gotta say the ram air is the better looking hood. My brother-in-law has a cowl hood and it just looks too big. Of course, it could be the manufacture...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012032395181020-1.jpg  

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

I have the cowl hood with the ram-air look on my truck and Ive had several compliments on it. It does make it look like a monster but I like it like that. thats just me. Only paid $410 delivered to my door. was primed ready for paint.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I like to be RAMMED!!! Hood that is.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBN 019.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	38000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shield2.jpg 
Views:	928 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	38001 First is the Goodmark Steel hood 2nd Cervini's Fiberglass..Very good fit
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by