GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: 5.3l afm

Default 5.3l afm

Can someone point me to a source where I can educate myself on the auto fuel management system for the 5.3L engine. I'm trying to find out how it works, what conditions are needed for it to work, and stuff like that.

Thanks for the information! It has/will be a great asset.

Jr. Apprentice

My 2010 5.3 is going in for warranty lifters.
    I keep reading issues with the AFM engine and all the crazy moving parts. I have also heard of pre AFM lifters being used in the AFM engines with the ECM reflashed to no longer deactivate the cylinders. Reason being is the overly complicated system prone to problems for the less than 1% MPG gains.
    Does anyone know if this is possible?
    thanks
    2010 Silverado LT 4x4 5.3L Ext Cab

really no need to change the lifters.. just get a tune and disable the DOD/AFM in the ECM and you're good to go...

Jr. Apprentice

Anything people recommend?I was also wondering, the dealer is replacing my lifters(because they are so noisey, some times for only a few seconds, other times for several minutes), should the cam be replaced as well, or is it not the same issue because they are roller lifters?my truck has done this since new but have been shrugged off time and time again, they now are going to do the lifters, im just wondering if more should be done at the same time?The more i read the more i don't want the AFM functioning, I too am experiencing the rediculous shift patterns and tendancies of the new 6 speed as slow speeds like many others with no fix, just waiting for all the rear universale to prematurely fail

Hey Squires! I saw in your first post you mentioned reading about various 5.3 problems. Can you tell me wher I can go to read up on the info you referred to.
    Thanx!

Jr. Apprentice

I had a 02 5.3 and an 07 5.3 with AFM and never noticed an issue with either of those.the issues are with the lifters as i have read and the new final drive ratio of the 5.3 and the 6-speed trans.Shop forman told me that there were complaints that the AFM was not living up to it's fuel saving claims and the ECM is programed for the truck to try and hold in V4 mode longer than previous (my 07 was truly seemless, only for the light i would have never felt the switch) now my 10 has spiratic shifting/surging feel as it trys to decide on the gear selection. low throttle application after coasting towards a red light that goes green, the truck gets a shimmy as it trys to accelerate maintaining V4 mode.For me, having lifter knock, loud enough to hear in the house, with 5000km's having paid over $30,000 for the truck, and only having it acknowledged as a problem now(20,000km's later) if an issue that needs addressingAs for reading about the issues, i just searched "lifter" on this forum and found many topics pertaining to 5.3issues, as it seems lifters come up in every 5.3L topic on this site haha.....

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Those are great links. Thanks for that.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by