GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default How to Grease the Slip Yoke

Anybody tell me how to grease the slip yoke on a '99 Silverado Z71? It has the infamous clunk and I don't think I am going to drop the cash for the nickel plated upgrade. From what I have read on this forum and others, greasing the yoke temporarily stops the clunk.

Does the yoke have grease fittings?
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

It should have a fitting for you to grease it on the drive shaft pretty close to the U-joint if I'm not mistaken. If not, you could always tap a fitting in there.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Somebody told me to pull it out and you can fill the inside of it.

MY yukon was doing the same thing. I pulled the drive shaft and greased the inside of the slip yoke very well. It has no made noise in 2 months.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

More GM bad design and dealer cover-up. took mine back when it was new the dealer said "It didn't do it when we drove it".. Unmitigated B.S. It still does it when it feels like it.

I don't think I would grease the inside of the slip yoke if it is internal, or it slips inside the Transmission (2wd), or Transfer case (4wd). But if it does have a slip yoke grease fitting that would be fine. The grease will break down inside the Tranny and would clog passages. T case might not hurt anything but you never know. Check the universals espesially the rear one.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

All good thoughts, still have yet to climb underneath and check it out...man its an annoying clunk...

Also though I am noticing a similar clunk when I come to a stop, right when I let off the brakes just before I come to the complete stop. If I just let it roll at idle speed and slam the brakes, the truck rocks forward and backward and I get the same clunk. My initial thought when I test drove the truck was that the bed was loose....All the suspension bolts seems to be secured, as I have checked that out. Maybe a mount of some sort, tranny/t case....something like that...any thoughts? Maybe the clunks are the same.

Sounds like your clunk may be some slack in your drivetrain? I'd definitely start out by grabbin' on to your driveshaft and see if you can twist it yourself. If not, my did something similar before throwing the t case. Only difference is mine would do it at the beginning of acceleration too. If you don't feel and slack though, pump your zerks up and see if it makes a difference.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light

I have slack on the shaft between the trans and tcase, maybe a quarter inch.

I just pulled my driveshaft and greased the inside of the yoke. Noticed a bit of metal shavings on the splines of the transfer case. Still clunks since I ran out of axle grease so I'll probably buy some more and put some more in there.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by