GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: gas milage

Default gas milage

Hello guys and girls, Can anyone tell me if they have gotten better gas milage when they installed a good cover for the back of pick up truck. Planning quite a bit of highway driving inthe next couple months. I nkow they look nice and you can hide storage. Just wondering about reduced turbulance and gas . Thanks Jerrydale

I put a Tonneau cover on mine in October. I was getting 16mpg hwy before, took a 1300 mile roadtrip in December got the same mpg. I think mythbusters did a study on it too and they didn't get any better MPG either..

My dad put one on his '09 1500 and saw zero change in mpg.

________2013 4C Rated__________

I also have a Tonneau Cover, a Snugtop and just like mentioned above, I have received no improvement in my Fuel Mileage.....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks for answer. I do remember the mythbuster show but I thought it was with or without tail gate maybe I came in late. thanks anyway

I saw the mythbusters thing a couple of different times. They tried it stock, without tailgate, with a net instead of the tail gate, with the tail gate down and with a cover. I might be "misremembering" the net. They found that the best was stock with the tonneau being a close second. The worst was actually with the tailgate down. I remember telling my mom about it because she always drove with it down thinking it saved gas. I told her the engineers at GM probably considered that fact in overall design.

That's just a long way of saying, get a cover if you want cover for storage or anything else. It won't save you mileage. The bright side is, the added weight won't really cost you much, if any, in mileage either.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

May help if you get a light cover like a snapon or a tri-fold. The solid covers that latch in the back add weight. Have you tried a K&N filter, diablo tuner, higher octane gas, run sea foam, any exhaust mods to let it breath better? Stock I was getting 18city/21hwy. With lift i went to 13city/17-18 hwy.

Blog Entries

For the record, 200# give or take topper on my ex cab 4.8 powered Silverado, same exact mileage as before. You'd think that with an extra 200#'s it would be worse....
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

200# is nothing....about like hauling a buddy as a passenger.