GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Another Transmission Toast. WHY?

The second transmission I put in has cooked! I sent it back to the guy that rebuilt it and the torque converter. He opened it and said that all the electrics and the solenoids are cooked. It was my belief that the TCC solenoid was dirty, but now that it is crispy, there is no way to tell if this was the fault or not. The trans guy says that it is a cooling issue. New radiator???? New Lines???? I am getting sick of the truck on stands and need the answers to start enjoying my truck this summer.

Thanks for helping in advance.

PS. Tranny #1 P1820 code Trans component slipping.
    Tranny #2 P0743 code Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid.

Any and all help appreciated!

What year is your truck.

did you flush the tranny cooler?

Mud Truck
    1984 Chevy K5 Blazer
    -454 Edelbrock V8
    -33" BFG Mud Tires

Daily Driver
    2006 Chevy Silverado K1500 LT Z71 - 5.3 V8
    -Bull Bar
    -Step Bars
    -Flowmaster 40 with dual tailpipes
    -Smoked Tails

99' Chevy Suburban K1500.
    Yes the lines were flushed

Legend

Blog Entries

I was able to find a pretty good description of your p0743 code....As soon as I find something about the 1820, I'll post that as well. The 1820 is a little more difficult to find a good definition/description.

__________________________________________________ __________

This P0743 obd2 code is not necessarily a trany fault code, but you need to check the engine sensors first before condemning the trany components.

P0743 obd2 code does not only mean a trany component's failure but requires an initial test of your engine sensors especially the tps, map or mass sensors. You can also browse below on the obd2 code lists below.
    P0743 Trany torque converter solenoid
    This code accompanied by symptoms of power loss and backfiring indicates a defective mass sensor. To verify, check the mass sensor integrity for proper mounting: is the air hose not cracked? air filter clean? Otherwise, check mass sensor supply voltage and ground voltage readings. Before replacing it, service it using a brake spray cleaner. Once the mass sensor is replaced and the code still shows up, then have the trany for performance by monitoring the operating trany pressures.
    Tip: During acceleration, these engine vehicle sensors play an important part in engine computer management. The most common sensors involved are the tps sensor, map sensor, mass sensors and even the vehicle speed sensors. These sensors must be monitored first especially when accompanied by performance problems such as hesitation and cutting out. However, if the trany goes on limp mode right away (stuck in low gear), then check your trany solenoids right away. For a detailed list of these common fixes and wiring diagrams, please contact ATS.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Thanks mate. I sent the trans back to the guy that sold it to me for a warranty repair. When I sent it to him, it was in one piece. He then had it for four weeks and he sent it back in three boxes and a million bits, still covered in the burnt oil!! Am I able to swear and cuss on here??

over $2000 and i get boxes of spare parts. he didn't even put it all in the boxes!!!!!

Time to blow more cash and buy a new, used unit.
    Last edited by Pete Japan; 04-16-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Legend

Blog Entries

That stinks Sorry to hear that type of news. I hope you get your burb back up and running soon.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Not knowing how reliable your rebuilder is, I'd probably start with what he says. Heat will kill an automatic transmission. It would be hard to test now with the transmission out, but I'd look at the transmission cooler (internal radiator cooler and any external cooler) to make sure they are clean and functional. Then, when you get the next transmission in, I'd probably disconnect a line at one of the coolers (or something) to make sure the transmission fluid is being pumped through the cooler.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I never trusted the stock tranny coolers. I always add on an external cooler also. I cooked 2 myself, but not after the constant flushes religiously, and extra cooler.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes