GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: program new ecm

Default program new ecm

Just ordered a new ecm as we have come to the conclusion that this is our issue. Question is - are dealerships the only ones that can program a new ecm? I know I say new, but it is really a reman. Don't know that much about them. I'm pretty sure they're not just plug and play. Any advise would be great.

Thanks.

Why do you think you need a new one?

No, dealers are not the only shops that can program the PCM, but they are one of the few shops that have the tools.

Other places, are the guys who sell tunes. These shops will swap your old PCM for one with a modified program for your vehicle.

The Tahoe we bought had a lot of aftermarket stuff (alarm, stereo equip, etc.) installed and removed before we bought it. It didn't run when we bought it. The aftermarket stuff was professionally installed but not so professionally removed. Anyway, we can make it run, but we have come to the conclusion that the computer is not always getting or sending the right signals. We have it back to stock and think that the computer has forgotten what it is supposed to do because of all this other stuff that used to be there and now isn't. Any suggestions you have would be great. I don't want to buy a new computer if I don't have to, but we did find a shop that will flash the ecm for $49.95 and if it doesn't fix it we don't have to pay. Figure it's worth a try.