GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default idler and pitman keep going out on my 04 z71

I replaced both 3 yrs ago and have barely put 15k on the truck since then. I don't do any off roading with it and is 3/4 highway driven. I do have a set of 20s that I put on during the summer but I doubt the bigger wheels could be causing it. What brand or fix is everyone using? THese parts are kinda spendy at 100 bucks a pop. I'd like to do it once and be done with it.
    93 trans am-FOR SALE!

87 Buick Turbo-T WE4 Yes, they are fast:he:

From what I understand, that is not all that uncommon. Is the diameter (height) of your tire bigger than stock? Are they a lot wider? and the big one... Do you keep your suspension parts lubricated like you should?
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    From what I understand, that is not all that uncommon. Is the diameter (height) of your tire bigger than stock? Are they a lot wider? and the big one... Do you keep your suspension parts lubricated like you should?
    What moogvo just said. Plus what brand did you replace them with (aftermarket or stock with warranty). Look into heavy duty aftermarket ones. NAPA usually has a couple different lines with, of course the most expensive, being a lot beefier than stock. Moog is also another quality heavy duty suspension parts.

http://www.napaautoparts.com/Catalog...+50014+2014023

http://www.napaautoparts.com/Catalog...+50014+2014023
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 04-20-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    Moog is also another quality heavy duty suspension parts.
    Absolutely!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Sr. Apprentice

Yeah I usually grease the front end every other oil change. If I go with moog parts next time will this solve the problem? I could do a lot of other stuff with 200 bucks so I don't wanna have to do it again in another 2 yrs. The 20s are same size as the GM 20s
    93 trans am-FOR SALE!

Your 04 didnt come stock with 20's though. On 99 to 07 classics the idler and pitman get worn prematurely buy putting annything bigger than stock wheels or tires, more so seen from 20's and up. I wouldnt go with napa parts, they arent as good as they used to be and are overpriced for the quality of part you get. Moog or raybestos make good chasis parts and both have heavy duty upgrades. You should be greasing your steering components at least every oil change. They cant get enough grease. Try searchingh online too because there are other brands that have made chassis parts that are upgraded for lifting and 4bying these trucks

Mud Truck
    1984 Chevy K5 Blazer
    -454 Edelbrock V8
    -33" BFG Mud Tires

Daily Driver
    2006 Chevy Silverado K1500 LT Z71 - 5.3 V8
    -Bull Bar
    -Step Bars
    -Flowmaster 40 with dual tailpipes
    -Smoked Tails

Sr. Apprentice

ok thanks for the advice and I'll look into it.
    93 trans am-FOR SALE!

Alot of the newer ones with 20s come with a rack and pinion. The truck you have isn't designed for that much resistance when turning. You might not think its alot on those parts, but it will and has shown its too much as far as longevity is concerned.