GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

there is a break even point on E85. enkei hit it on the head. depending on the vehicle it changes the difference required. what is a myth is the idea that E85 causes higher food prices. even with the increased demand for corn, production has risen to match, mostly thru hybrids that produce more. i dont know everything there is to know about it, but i dealt with it a fair bit before joining the army. E85 was never intended to replace regular gas, just help. im of the opinion that diesel and CNG is that way to go, but what do i know.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    ...what is a myth is the idea that E85 causes higher food prices.
    In my original response I linked this government report: http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...08-ethanol.pdf

You might want to read pages VIII and 1, of it. Apparently the government believes it's more than just a myth?

In Michigan we have E-85 pumps at almost every gas station I stop at. But, it is generally 10 cents cheaper per gallon. With the decrease in fuel economy it is just not worth it. Give me 80 cents to a dollar cheaper then I may consider putting it in my truck.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

im not saying i know everything there is to know about the topic, just somewhat knowledgeable from having worked in the field. alot of the reason for higher prices for food is the cost of fuel, seed, fertilizer and so on. basically, corn costs more because the inputs to grow it cost more.

not to say i know everything to blame for the price of food, or that E85 may be hurting more then helping, i dont know enough to say either way but you cant say that E85 causes the whole problem.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    im not saying i know everything there is to know about the topic, just somewhat knowledgeable from having worked in the field. alot of the reason for higher prices for food is the cost of fuel, seed, fertilizer and so on. basically, corn costs more because the inputs to grow it cost more.

not to say i know everything to blame for the price of food, or that E85 may be hurting more then helping, i dont know enough to say either way but you cant say that E85 causes the whole problem.

Alex
    I only know what I read from the government report ... and I'm not someone who believes everything the government tells me. You've probably got a greater chance of being correct than those monkeys. Who knows?!

Sr. Apprentice

The yield of E-85 obtained from corn is riduculous and in no way profitable by even the biggest stretch of the imagination. In fact, E-85 promotes increased fuel usage in vehicles that aren't specifically designed to run ethanol; and ethanol is also a 2-stroke engine's arch nemisis. If you have a two-stroke and run E-85 in your mix, a rebuild is soon in your future. Outboards, string-trimmers, chainsaws, ATVs, motocross bikes, and snowmobiles all need to be aware of the damages that E-85 will cause internally -- especially the gaskets and seals on small carb engines.

I avoid E-85 in everything I own. It actually costs more to use E-85, when you factor in the decreased fuel milage you get with it. It costs a few pennies less per gallon, but consumes more per mile. Its an unfair trade-off.

It has been widely discussed around the world -- and if the U.S was really serious about bio-fuels..... the FDA and DEA (and whatever other agencies are responsible for making it illegal) would swallow their pride and levy the prohibition against growing hemp marijuana and subsidize farmers to grow it. It's not that hippie stuff that you smoke...in fact.. smoking it will give you nothing you can consider a high, but it gets lumped into the same category.

Hemp marijuana is not the same as cannabis marijuana. Hemp crops yield extremely high amounts of alternative bio-fuel mass, and its growth and vegetation cycles are more resiliant and quicker than any corn crops in existance. Hemp also serves uses for things such as rope and heavy textile fibres. Using food crops to create fuel is just ridiculously dumb..food goes in your belly, not in your gas tank. Other countries see the value and use of Hemp... its time for the U.S.A to pull up its pants, tighten its belt.. and behave like a civilized and modern society... not hiding behind some stupid prohibition laws set in place over 50 years ago... and only done so because they seriously believed that by smoking pot one would become pacifist and more succeptible to communist influence...allowing them to take over.
    Last edited by Strino78; 05-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Strino78 View Post
    ... its time for the U.S.A to pull up its pants, tighten its belt.. and behave like a civilized and modern society... not hiding behind some stupid prohibition laws set in place over 50 years ago... and only done so because they seriously believed that by smoking pot one would become pacifist and more succeptible to communist influence...allowing them to take over.
    Interestingly enough, the first state to criminalize marijuana was California ... in 1907 ... specifically by including it as a poison and causing it to fall under The Poison Act. Other states began adopting laws that criminalized marijuana in various ways soon after. It was made illegal at the federal level for all but medical and industrial uses ... by the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. As you can see it was criminalized long before the concerns you raised ... and not for the reasons you mentioned.

In 1996 California passed proposition 215 which legalized marijuana for medicinal use. However, such possession and use still violated (and violates) the federal Controlled Substances Act of 1970. The Supreme Court has twice (once in 2001 and again in 2005) upheld the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 ... in cases where those growing, handling, possessing, and/or distributing marijuana under state law were violating the cited federal law. Federal law trumps state law and the Supreme Court has been clear on this issue. This means it has to be decriminalized at the federal level first and foremost.

It's ironic that the first state to criminalize the substance ... is also the first to try to make it publicly available for medicinal use. I don't mind pro-marijuana talk, in fact, I'm all for it. However, I wish people who speak up on the subject would actually educate themselves on the substance's real history before doing so. While it's decrimininalized in many places, the substance isn't actually legal in any country in the world -- largely because of our own country's global politics.

Now back to our regularly scheduled talk about fuel...
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 05-01-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Sr. Apprentice

The whole subject of cannabis is indeed a slippery slope. What I am trying to illustrate is this: the U.S gov. doesn't distinguish between Cannabis Marijuana and the non-psychoactive Cannabis used for industrial and commercial purposes. Hemp's characteristics for growing are requite respectable: up to 25 tonnes per hectare per year in dry mass and it requires low herb/pest control, and can grow in relatively infertile soil.

It's really just my personal opinion on this, but if the laws would soften up and allow for hemp growth in a regulated fashion it would be a resourceful plant that can be used for many different things, and is a far reach from its cousin the "pot" plant. Hemp plastics, hemp cloth, hemp paper, hemp ropes, hemp oils (omega-3), and so many other possibilities -- just by easing up a little on some laws that were extremely vague to begin with. You can say no to pot and say yes to hemp!

Interesting tidbits: more hemp is exported to the United States than to any other country, canvas was a word used to describe the cannabis cloth material used to make the sails for boats, and hemp is a hollow-core stand fibre material making it better at body temp regulation and insulation than cotton.

In a way it would be similar to having a prohibition of alcohol and stating that ethanol, iso and methanol alcohols were all the same thing. A bit of paperwork and regulatory changes could allow for hemp growth to occur, and give American farmers an opportunity to keep corn for feed, and grow hemp for biofuel or one of its other uses. With hemp's diverse nature, biofuel could be the tip of the iceberg for business growth that could develop in the country.

Just some interesting hemp releated links...
    makes ya think.. maybe the gov screwed farmers out of a really good cash crop that would have been the "new" corn

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...lt-asheville/1

http://www.gizmag.com/hemp-biodiesel...biofuel/16852/

http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news...s-hemp-biofuel
    Last edited by Strino78; 05-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Are they still suggesting you only charge your battery to 80% to extend its life? That was a huge downside for the estimated mileage on the last two model years.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymartin1979 View Post
    Are they still suggesting you only charge your battery to 80% to extend its life? That was a huge downside for the estimated mileage on the last two model years.
    The software does that not the person charging the Volt. It also only drains to 30%, GM says it helps the batteries last up to 10 years and makes it worth the shorter run time. Also Chevy posted a lot of videos on their Youtube page about how to get more out of a charge. Big things are starting the climate controls while Volt it charging before you leave the house that way it doesn't take as much battery power to warm up or cool down the cabin. All this can be controlled through the Chevy mylink app.

If a person was really smart they would hook up their Volt charging station to a solar power system so during the day the sun would charge the lead acid battery banks and at night with an inverter those lead acid deep cycles would charge the Volt and have it ready for the morning. Initial cost would be high but over time it would pay for itself easily.

For those talking about loss of corn resources yup its really stupid which is why GM, ExxonMobil, Ford and other companies are working on finding a way to turn unused/useless plant matter into E85. They would use things like the corn stalks, husks, leaves, and other by products of many other plant products break them down to usable energy and create E85 that is cheaper and better for the economy. The main obstacle is creating an enzyme that can break down cellulose into usable glucose. They are also trying to do a similar thing with alge.

My truck won't run on E85, nor any biofuel, but I really love the idea, it's just really hard to achieve. My truck gets about 12 city and 20ish highway and thats not really going to change no matter what magic tech they find because I'm not getting rid of my Gen I L31 Vortec 5.7L V8. It runs strong, has plenty of torque, and when paired with that 4L60e they're the perfect combo.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door