GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Mechanic

Default no back up lights

On my 03 Avalanche one of my back up lights stopped working. So i bought new bulbs. The old bulbs didnt look blown so i tried them in the tail lights and they worked. I checked all the fuses and they were good. Also when i changed the bulbs i changed both sides and now neither one will work. Some how i did get them both to come back on for a little while when i was testing the socket with a test light. Some one told me to look at the circuit board but i really dont know what do with it. Why do we even have a circuit board? How do i tell if the board is bad andhow bad is it to change out? If anyone knows anything about this please help. Thanks.
    2003 Avalanche 4x4 with cladding 110k miles +, K&N stock replacement air filter, Skyjacker 8000 shocks, Hawks LTS pads, Summit Racing brand drilled and sloted rotors, Sylvania ZXE high & low beams, leveling kit, 285/70/r17 Michelin M/S

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

This is the factory lights right? Check the socket. Alot of Avalanche owners have had problems with them coroding. Are you the first owner?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Jr. Mechanic

I am the second owner. The sockets appear to be in good shape. Anderson yes it is factory.
    2003 Avalanche 4x4 with cladding 110k miles +, K&N stock replacement air filter, Skyjacker 8000 shocks, Hawks LTS pads, Summit Racing brand drilled and sloted rotors, Sylvania ZXE high & low beams, leveling kit, 285/70/r17 Michelin M/S

Legend

And you said with the Test light it works fine?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Jr. Mechanic

Tested the test light ong the battery before and after to make sure ot works

Legend

Did you test the leads by the socket? (the wires)

try to flex the circuit board a little while they are on. See if they intermittently come on and go off. If they do, the board has either a broken trace or a cold solder joint.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Jr. Mechanic

I tested just the inside of both of the sockets. I was kinda short on time. It will be thursday or friday before i gwt to work on it again. Just wanted today seee what else i need to check. Sorry for the misspelled words my mobile web wont let me fix them for some reason.reading