GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Normally when towing It's either a car trailer or my boat, I probably over do it with gear but I've always been a rather have it and not use it than wish I had it type person.

Spare jack for the trailer
    piece of 2x6x12 wood to use as a base for the jack
    Cross bar tire iron
    Spare tire for the trailer
    Assorted extra tie downs
    tarps with bungies
    Extra set of magnet mounted taillights
    Tool bag is always in the truck with assorted repair items and tools
    Latch lock for the trailer

My last couple of trailers I've modified with removeable hitch connectors so if for any reason I have to leave the trailer somewhere it cant be towed away by thieves. I just sleeved the hitch connector and use a locking cross bar like whats used on a 2" reciever.

I definately understand the room for family, which is part of the reason I have the CC. didnt know that about the newer diesel just that the premium on the price tag for one kept me with a gasser since I dont do a whole lot of towing (yet)

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

I will also add if you are looking at the 6.0 some came with the 4.10 instead of the 3.73. The 3.73 will work well and isnt something that would need to be swapped out but if you found one with it already it would help on that low end with towing.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

1. AAA RV membership. Free towing for vehicle and trailer. Plus all the other fantastic AAA benefits.
    2. Road Hazard kit (the one with those reflective triangles you see the truckers use to keep you away from the rig on the shoulder)
    3. 12 Volt Tire Inflator and "Instant tire repair" in the aerosol can.
    4. Scissor jacks
    5. boards to level trailer once it is parked
    6. A bag + ties to put over the trailer hitch ball once the trailer gets disconnected. I hate getting black grease on my shorts.
    7. Phone number for Les Schwab Tires in case I need a new tire on the trailer.
    8. Wheel chocks for the trailer.
    9. Three gallons of distilled water for possible water loss in cooling system.
    10. 1-2 gallons of antifreeze.

I had to drive my truck home from a trip where the water pump failed when I got to where I was going. Had to drive 1000 miles and over two mountain passes with a trailer to get home. I took a mechanic's advice, just kept the overflow chamber filled with H20 and anti freeze the whole way home. He did NOT recommend that crap in the little container that "stops radiator leaks". I think I used 3 gallons of water and 2 of anti freeze, maybe 3, but I made it home no problem, the truck never overheated. I always carry water and anti freeze now when I tow.
    Last edited by The Heater; 04-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12