GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Flow masters can be loud. I had an issue with my 1995 silverado. I had duels with 2 3/4" pipe to and from the flowmasters. There was not enough back pressure and I lost a lot of power. It was loud, but did not move. It was hard to go places unnoticed. If you want loud I agree with the others and say Glass packs. Again like donyms said, sometimes you need to sneak away!

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I have a Magna Flow and it is nice sounding and performance is great from gains to mpg and more power to the wheels when pulling. Didn't cost much .

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm pretty interested in the magnaflows, they're not as popular as the flowmasters around here, and I definitely agree that it is important to be able to get out of somewhere without everyone noticing sometimes.. Lol how much would they cost? Comparable to a flowmasters price? Is there a certain muffler to choose, like on a flowmaster they have the 40 and 50 series etc? Also, I've never actually heard a cherry bomb muffler. Are they pretty loud, and how would the tone be on the 4.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Tpryor View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm pretty interested in the magnaflows, they're not as popular as the flowmasters around here, and I definitely agree that it is important to be able to get out of somewhere without everyone noticing sometimes.. Lol how much would they cost? Comparable to a flowmasters price? Is there a certain muffler to choose, like on a flowmaster they have the 40 and 50 series etc? Also, I've never actually heard a cherry bomb muffler. Are they pretty loud, and how would the tone be on the 4.8?
    I think my Magnaflow was $150 installed including the new chrome tips but I got a deal. All my exhaust was in great shape and all I needed was the muffler. When I went to the muffler shop I told them I wanted my truck to sound like my 94 Vette, sounds great but tame until you get into it then it will talk to you. Well, they nailed it but I don't know what series it is, all I know is it is a small Stainless Steel muffler.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tpryor View Post
    The cherry bombs are loud but I don't know what the tone would be like on a 4.8. I had the exact same setup on my '97 with a 5.7 and it was alittle louder than what my '07 with a 5.3 is.

Luke
    '02 Chevrolet 2500hd
    6.6 Duramax LB7
    3.5" Straight Pipe
    4" MBRP Black Exhaust Tip
    Tow Mirrors
    TSC Black Low Profile Tool Box
    Maverick Brush Guard

So from looking around at different mufflers I'm starting to think I will be getting the cherry bomb extreme. I'd also really like to get it turned down and dumped under the bed in front of the axle. If I wanted to get rid of the cat, how would I go about that? I know that without it the sensors will read differently and the engine won't be able to run right.. Something along those lines at least. Lol if someone could explain it to me I would greatly appreciate it.

I would keep the cats but thats just me. I would gut them, and see if your CEL comes on. If it does, you can cut and space the O2 sensor a little farther from the pipe so that the CEL would go off. But down here in Louisiana if a shop sees you have no cats or gutted cats, they will report you.

I like to be quiet so that if I have to leave early to go hunting or fishing I won't wake the neighbors (I live in the country as well but we have old neighbors close by) but since you live in the country, I'd say go with a cherry bomb extreme or glass pack.

I had a buddy just cut his cats out of his 02 5.3 and had it tuned thinking that it would make the CEL go off for the O2 sensors...he's been riding on a failed sticker since October after it was "tuned" to make the CEL go off. Mine are gutted which I'm about to change.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

flowmaster 50s are fairly quiet unless you romp on em. regular 40s arnt bad either. I have a super 40 on my truck, sounds pretty nasty when you get on, but very managable for the most part. a few videos of it floating around on here.

check the coffee shop for exhaust tones thread, or search youtube. lots of videos on there with people running all sorts of setups.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Former Member

Do you even need a muffler? If your state inspection doesn't require it, run straight piped...

Jr. Engineer
    Live in Mississippi...But I claim Texas!!

Cut the cats off, run dual 2.5 pipes out the back, with the 30 inch cherry bomb glass packs. You will piss everybody off!! lol And to keep the light from coming on...they make a cap to put on the O2 sensors.

2011 Silverado "Black Widow Edition"

7" Lift
    35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's
    20" American Racing Rims With -24 offset
    Recon Smoked Led Tail and 3rd Brake Lights

MCX Conversion Package.....
    Custom Dual Exhaust
    Custom Leather
    Custom Chrome Gauges With Red Back-Lighting
    Black Widow Badges
    Back-up Camera System
    Programmer