GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default No reverse lights 1996 K1500

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I have a question about my 1996 K1500 Silverado. I had my transmission rebuilt about a year ago and since then my reverse lights haven't worked. I've checked fuses and bulbs and that's not the problem. I now have a boat that requires a 5 pin harness and I need the reverse lights for the trailers surge brakes. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

I would check the switch on the trans. that might be bad. Check the wiring around the switch, maybe it got pinched some how when trans was installed. jsut throwing out some ideas.

Jr. Apprentice

According to the wiring diagram for my 06 the signal first comes from the park/neutral switch at the transmission then goes to the body control module which then sends the power to light up the reverse lights. This may not be the same for a 96 truck as I'm not sure if it has a body control module. But the principle should be the same so I would check to see if the park/neutral switch is functioning properly since you had the transmission replaced. I have a subscription for my truck on All Data web site and for a few bucks a year I find it more than pays for it's self in allowing me to look at wiring diagrams to figue out problems with the truck.

JFR

JFR

Where exactly is the switch on the trans?

Jr. Apprentice

It is located on the left side of the transmission. Two bolts hold it on and an electrical conector attaches it to the wire harness. Sorry if you get this twice as I wasn't sure it went out the first time.

JFR

Quote Originally Posted by jfr1800
    It is located on the left side of the transmission. Two bolts hold it on and an electrical conector attaches it to the wire harness. Sorry if you get this twice as I wasn't sure it went out the first time.

JFR
    Okay thanks. I'll check that out then.