GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    The only ones you need resistors for is the ones that flash. If the brake light is also a turn signal, then you will beed a resistor on that too. If it isn't, then you are good. each bulb that flashes needs to get it's own resistor.
    Ok thanks for all of your help!
    2003 Avalanche 4x4 with cladding 110k miles +, K&N stock replacement air filter, Skyjacker 8000 shocks, Hawks LTS pads, Summit Racing brand drilled and sloted rotors, Sylvania ZXE high & low beams, leveling kit, 285/70/r17 Michelin M/S

Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    Ok thanks for all of your help!
    You're welcome! That's why we're here! Let us know how you make out with this!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I would get a TRIDON LM487 flasher. It is LED compatible and has a high enough power rating that it is designed to be able to hold up to incandescent bulbs. As long as you get the TRIDON brand, it is american-made, and is of the quality that they would be used often on cab/chassis trucks being built with LED lights on the bodies - that would be the same situation as you... LEDs on the back, but everything else stock.

Of course, if you go for a different brand's version of the same thing, moogvo's statement that it will quickly burn out could very well be right, but if you get a TRIDON, you should be fine. And this way you don't have to modify your truck's wiring.

As a side note, I don't like load resistors because they produce a lot of heat... and that heat has potential to damage things when they are tucked away behind your tail lights.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    I would get a TRIDON LM487 flasher. It is LED compatible and has a high enough power rating that it is designed to be able to hold up to incandescent bulbs. As long as you get the TRIDON brand, it is american-made, and is of the quality that they would be used often on cab/chassis trucks being built with LED lights on the bodies - that would be the same situation as you... LEDs on the back, but everything else stock.

Of course, if you go for a different brand's version of the same thing, moogvo's statement that it will quickly burn out could very well be right, but if you get a TRIDON, you should be fine. And this way you don't have to modify your truck's wiring.

As a side note, I don't like load resistors because they produce a lot of heat... and that heat has potential to damage things when they are tucked away behind your tail lights.

So with this module I could use either or lights? How do I know if this is compatible with my truck? I really like the sound of plug and play. Also if I ever sold the truck and they wanted to go back to regular bulbs could they with no problems using this module?
    2003 Avalanche 4x4 with cladding 110k miles +, K&N stock replacement air filter, Skyjacker 8000 shocks, Hawks LTS pads, Summit Racing brand drilled and sloted rotors, Sylvania ZXE high & low beams, leveling kit, 285/70/r17 Michelin M/S

Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    So with this module I could use either or lights? How do I know if this is compatible with my truck? I really like the sound of plug and play. Also if I ever sold the truck and they wanted to go back to regular bulbs could they with no problems using this module?
    The LM487 is the part number for the LED compatible flasher by Tridon for 2003-2007 GM trucks. It will work on your avalanche - I know because I've researched it and I also have an '03 Avalanche. The nice thing is that if you went back to all stock bulbs the Tridon would still be fine because it is rated to handle more power than their standard flashers. The LM487 is good for 162 Watts, and the only ones they make that handle more are either electromechanical (common on older vehicles) or are models that are specifically designed for buses & trucks.

Basically, as long as you stick with the Tridon brand, you'll be fine. Rock Auto is also the cheapest place that I've found the LM487 that you would need.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

I've got the Tridon LM487 installed in my 04 Sierra and it's been solid throughout my conversion to LEDs.

Rock Auto may have the Tridon LM487 for $33.97+S&H but Amazon has it for $36.08 as a prime-eligible item -- meaning if you're an Amazon Prime member (80 bucks a year) you get free 2-day shipping on the part. That amounts to $2.11 for 2-day shipping ... which costs less than Rock Auto's 2-day shipping, I'm sure. You might consider Amazon Prime for this reason.

Heck, I just got my AC Delco temperature valve actuator from Amazon.com for $100.00 ... again, it was prime-eligible and 2-day shipped. The next closest place was $139ish+ S&H. I think you can do a 30 day trial of Amazon Prime, so you might sign up for it, try it, get some freebie 2-day shipping out of it, and cancel it ... unless you like it enough to keep it. I did that when I was going to be ordering a large number of items and would have raked them over the coals in shipping in the first month had I canceled, but I liked it so much I paid the annual fee and continue to use it.

Surreal

P.S. No, I do not work for Amazon.com

Jr. Mechanic

I think I am going to go with the Tridon LM487. The last thing I want to do is to have to remember to tell someone that they have to put in leds or it could mess something up. If I sold my truck sometime in the far off future. And I really would rather not mess with any wires. Because of my pass history of taping into wires then having stuff go bad wrong later. Thanks for everyone's input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12