GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: fuel pump?

Default fuel pump?

i have a 2000 jimmy,and i got the call from the wife telling the truck wont start shes stuck at work. when i got there i had an idea it was the fuel pump because the night before the car wouldnt start,but after a few min it started,today it will not turn over.
    i cant hear the pump prime when i put the key on run.the car is cranking fine and shows no signs of catching or wanting to catch,im very sure its a fuel issue. i had no tools or much time to look at it when i picked her up,i quickly swapped the fuel replay under the hood with another relay and nothing changed so i can rule out a relay issue.before i spend a million dollars on a fuel pump and all the BS involved getting it out,does anyone have any other ideas what it could be? like maybe a bad ground? ECU issue? anything that might be common with these trucks to check first? thanks.

Can't think of anything else real common. But, before I spent a million dollars on a fuel pump I'd:

Check fuel pressure to make sure it is a fuel delivery issue.

Check for spark.

Pull codes from the computer (in case there is usable information in the computer's memory).
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

ive read about people replacing pumps only to find it was a different problem,sometimes ground sometimes a fuse.something tells me this is gonna be a serious pain in the a$$.

If you can't check your fuel pressure, bang on the tank a few times and see if it will start. if it does start, you have a fuel pump problem. What about your fuel filter? When was teh last time that was changed? Pull it off and try to blow through it. if you can blow through it, it is fine. If not, replace it!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

X2^^ check fuel filter!! Always replace it before the pump! Cheap check! If thats not it then yeah I'd say its the pump. You can try beating on the tank with a soft hammer while turning the car over and sometimes that'll at least get it started.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

thats what i did.i went down after dinner with a hammer and my cell incase a tow truck was needed. i tried to start it and nothing,so 2 bangs of the hammer and the pump primed,started her up drove her home. so i guess new pump it is. 400 and change for the part.lovely.
    i remember changing my camaro fuel pump in 20 min and it cost me 20.00 lol
    aint technology great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    thats what i did.i went down after dinner with a hammer and my cell incase a tow truck was needed. i tried to start it and nothing,so 2 bangs of the hammer and the pump primed,started her up drove her home. so i guess new pump it is. 400 and change for the part.lovely.
    aint technology great.
    One thing I would do is check the connections at the top of the tank and ensure everything is secure. I have heard of guys dropping the tank to only find out the connections where loose or bad. Worse case you still need to replace the fuel pump.

I had a co worker get a quote to change a fuel pump - $900.00 at the dealer....thats probably 5 hours of labor according to their handy dandy book but really only takes 2-3 at most.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    aint technology great.
    Sucks that it is the pump, It could be a bad connection as sstoner said. either way, great that you're in the ball park!