GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Help with valve adjustment on 1996 Suburban

hello names bill i have a 1996 gmc suburban 4x4. i blew a head gasket both heads were cracked. ive bought new heads got it running but cant seem to get the valves set right. everytime i get them right and it runs great. i turn it off and start it agin their messed up agin. ive done this like 5 times. can someone help me fix this problem????
    Last edited by moogvo; 04-25-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Changed thread title for clarity

Welcome to the site, it's good to have you here. Your best bet is to go to the main forum page and scroll down to the Chevy Tech Q&A and post the issue there. You'll likely get a lot more views and more expedient answers.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club and enjoy the site........

Welcome to the club Bill, good to have you with us.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome the the Club!!

** Moved thread **

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Bring the number one cylinder to TDC. You'll know by the timing mark being on or near zero and the number 1 piston being up in the firing position. To verify that the number 1 cylinder is up, pop the distributor cap and check that the rotor is pointing to the number 1 plug wire. Some people put a screwdriver into the number 1 cylinder spark plug hole to feel that the piston is all the way at the top. DO NOT turn the engine with the screwdriver in the spark plug hole!

Once you have #1 at TDC, Loosen the rocker arm stud on both valves and then tighten either one of them up while slowly turning the pushrod with your fingertips. When the pushrod stops and you can no longer turn it with your fingers, tighten the nut down an additional 1/4 to 1/3 turn. Then adjust the other valve on the number one cylinder in the same way. At this point and without turning the motor, adjust the exhaust valves on cylinders 1,3,4, and 8 and the intake valves on 1,2,5, and 7. Rotate the engine one full turn or 180 degrees until the timing mark is on 0 again. This puts the number 6 piston at TDC. Now, adjust the exhaust valves on cylinders 2,5,6, and 7 and intake valves on cylinders 3,4,6,and 8.

And THAT... is IT! Put your valve covers back on, make sure everything is hooked up and you're done!
    Last edited by moogvo; 04-30-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

oh cool thanks.

ok i got the valves set right and now it has a real bad hesatation at idle. and wants to shut off on me. can anyone give an idea as to why?

If it is an idle only issue, make sure that the IAC valve is plugged in and operating. If it is not working the truck will either not idle correctly or will stall out.

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    If it is an idle only issue, make sure that the IAC valve is plugged in and operating. If it is not working the truck will either not idle correctly or will stall out.
    He pretty much said everything I would. Sounds right to me.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by