GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 03 Silverado Suspension Replacement Questions

I have a 2003 Silverado (121,xxxMI) with the stock suspension and is in serious need of replacement. My leafsprings are no longer in a "U" shape they are more of a "W" . And when i hit a speed bump the truck bounces for like another 10 seconds and the leafspring bushings make a horiable squeeking nose that drives me nuts!!

I do like the thought and look of a lowered truck like mine.
    So to my question, what is more inexpensive to replace all of my shocks, coils and leafsprings with?An"oem" replacement (to return it to stock height) or just buy a lowering kit to replace my stock suspension?

And what brand do yall prefer to use for an "original" suspension replacement and a lowering kit suspension?

I donot have a problem replacing everything by myself, ive replaced one before on a Jeep wrangler.
    2003 Chevy 1500 5.3l VORTEC

I prefer lifted trucks or at least stock heights. I figure that if you ever want to use the truck as a truck then lowered trucks are not going to do it. Then I look at resale value, if you lower it or lift it when you go to sell it someday you have limited your potential buyers. If it is stock then you may get the guys that want to lower it, the guys that want to lift it, or the guys that want to use it as a truck. Being someone that has a severely modified truck, I have to say that driving it everyday can become a real pain, plus unwanted attention. If I go have one beer at the bar and drive home I have to worry about drawing attention from police and getting pulled over. In Michigan one beer can put you over the limit.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I get what your saying, and ive decided to return it to stock height. What brand to you reccomend to return my truck to stock height? Website?

Quote Originally Posted by 2003-5.3-V8 View Post
    I get what your saying, and ive decided to return it to stock height. What brand to you reccomend to return my truck to stock height? Website?
    As far as shocks go, everyone raves about bilstein. I have never had to replace leaf springs or coils on my trucks so I don't know. Check out Autoanything . They might have what you are looking for.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Alright man thanks!
    ill go check it out!