GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Silverado LTZ vs. Sierra Denali

Alright guys, fill me in, please... We're in the market for a new truck and we want to know what to go with. I'm leaning towards the Denali at the moment, but I want to know if there is anything I'm missing.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

First off Welcome... 2nd What are you looking for? Are you towing? If so what? I can say that the New Denali is one HOT!! Truck in Reg or HD..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

My cousin has the same year yukon xl as mine, His is the Denali version, He can not take it out of all wheel drive. I have a 2 wd, 4hi, 4lo, and auto option. He has had to do a lot of maintenance to his front diff. I don't know if they changed that since 2003, but it is something that I would look into. Are there any extra options in the Denali that you can not get in the other model?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Apprentice

Well, since they are both in the top tier of their brands, I would say check to see which one has the most options you don't want/ care about and go with the other. Prices should be similar between the two, as well as everything else with a few minor tweaks. Really it is all personal prefereance at that point. They are pretty much the samer truck IIRC.
    Rob - Campbell River, B.C.
    1997 GMC Jimmy SLT
    2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4

denalis are the ultra plush, looked at a few. they command a premium, and are priced accordingly. a LTZ can be had a little cheaper i think. couldnt say for sure.

biggest difference that comes to mind is the new Denalis come with a 6.2 (1500 anyways) were as a LTZ can be with the 5.3.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Thanks for the responses, guys, and sorry for the lack of an informative OP. To start off, we definitely don't tow much, so that isn't much of a factor. Second, is the Denali AWD-only? I think I'd prefer a 2WD truck, as I won't be going off-road much at all, but I might compromise with the AWD-Denali if that's the only drivetrain it has available. Last, I want to know if there are any specific differences between the interiors. My guess would be that the Denali has slightly more refined interior, but I could be wrong as I've yet to see one in person. I did, however, see a new Escalade EXT interior and the center console + gauges are gorgeous!

The denali comes in a 2wd or AWD option. (I wish they'd offer the 4WD. Not sure why they don't.) It also comes standard with the 6.2L engine and 3.42 gears. The LTZ has the option of the 5.3 or the 6.2 as well as 4wd and the option for 3.73 gears if you like. The Denali interior trim is a bit more refined with a little more wood trim than the LTZ in the center console. The interior looks pretty much exactly like my LTZ interior with the exception of these added refinements.

It really comes down to what you decide you want and what you're willing to pay for it. The Denali is a gorgeous truck imo, but I'm not sure it's worth the added cost on the sticker when I could take that money and put it into some aesthetic mods after the fact. That's only my opinion though. Really, the only thing keeping me from loving the Denali is the AWD vs 4wd. It's a little thing, when it really comes down to it, but when you're talking about that much money for a vehicle I think compromises should be limited.

Also keep in mind the engine. I often wish I had the 6.2 in my truck, but the mileage also suffers a fair bit from what I've read from members on here. More than the EPA sticker on the truck might imply.

I hope this helps.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

one fun thing i think about the denalis is the fact you have one, not to many people do, not to mention the fact that it will be distinct driving down the road, people will know you have it. a LTZ silverado looks mostly like a LS or a LT.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    one fun thing i think about the denalis is the fact you have one, not to many people do, not to mention the fact that it will be distinct driving down the road, people will know you have it. a LTZ silverado looks mostly like a LS or a LT.

Alex
    There are denalis everywhere I look especially the new hd. I'm not a fan of the grille or the chrome, but that's a preference. I still can't tell if the woods is real in them. Anybody know?
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

I've yet to see a Denali on the road, so I think we're going to go with that. As others have said, the LTZ isn't too much of a difference from an LT to pay the premium for.
    2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 purchased 02.19.2011
    Cyber Grey Metallic | Black Leather | 6-Speed Manual w/Hurst Shifter

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by