GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Engine knocking on cold startup: 2001 tahoe 5.3

I have a 2001 Tahoe Lt with a 5300 Vortec engine with 89000 miles. I have this problem when I first start it after it has been sitting overnight it has a knocking noise but it goes away in about 40 seconds. Do anyone know what might be the problem with the engine. Leon
    Last edited by moogvo; 04-26-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Changed thread title to something descriptive to get more exposure..

Quote Originally Posted by calvinh39 View Post
    I have a 2001 Tahoe Lt with a 5300 Vortec engine with 89000 miles. I have this problem when I first start it after it has been sitting overnight it has a knocking noise but it goes away in about 40 seconds. Do anyone know what might be the problem with the engine. Leon
    Sounds like an oiling problem in the bottom end... Could be caused by crud in the oil passages, weak/clogged oil pump/screen or damaged/worn out connecting rod bearings on the crankshaft.

Can you give us any more details?
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Go to an automotive parts store and pick up an automotive stethascope. Have someone start it cold, and listen to the oil pan.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Sounds like an oiling problem in the bottom end... Could be caused by crud in the oil passages, weak/clogged oil pump/screen or damaged/worn out connecting rod bearings on the crankshaft.

Can you give us any more details?
    The oil and filter is change ever 3000 miles the oil pressure seems to stay above 45. This started about three months ago. I started the vehicle this am and was not able to detect any knocking. I seem to hear the knocking better when I am inside the vehicle the knocking stops around 40 seconds.

The oil and filter is change ever 3000 miles the oil pressure seems to stay above 45. This started about three months ago. I started the vehicle this am and was not able to detect any knocking. I seem to hear the knocking better when I am inside the vehicle the knocking stops around 40 seconds.
    Are you sure it is from the engine? I had a cat on my '03 that "Knocked" on startup. It actually sounded like someone was behind the dash knocking on the bottom of the firewall.

Are you sure it is from the engine? I had a cat on my '03 that "Knocked" on startup. It actually sounded like someone was behind the dash knocking on the bottom of the firewall.
    Are you talking about your catalytic converter?

Are you talking about your catalytic converter?
    Yes. I had the transmission rebuilt. When they took the exhaust pipe off, they dropped it on the floor. It broke the internals of the catalytic converter. It wasn't bad enough to set the light, but I could hear it knocking and tapping.

My old mans truck it doing pretty much the same thing right now. It is a heat shield though. When the idle is low, or cold it rattles. It seems that when the bolts warm up, it tightens up on the shield and stops the rattleing, or knocking sound.
    Yes. I had the transmission rebuilt. When they took the exhaust pipe off, they dropped it on the floor. It broke the internals of the catalytic converter. It wasn't bad enough to set the light, but I could hear it knocking and tapping.