GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Why?

Hybrid View

Default Why?

Why did chevrolet put that dumb plastic front bumper thing on there trucks? the moment you go offroad its plastic bolts break and it gets ripped right off. The least they could have done was put it on with metal bolts............

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

and the same thing happened to my friend with a tahoe...
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

I think they went political with the bailout money. Now lobbyists from aftermarket companies like Fab Four are throwing money at them saying "hey, if your people really beat on it like it's made for, they'll need to buy our stuff."

That's really the first answer that came to mind on why....

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

did the same thing happen to you?

No, it hasn't. But I also haven't started toying with it offroad the way I plan to. I'm out of the country at the moment, and when I get back I'm planning to get the lift, gears, shocks, and bumpers upgraded just so it doesn't happen.

its actually removable for off roading. its right in the manual and tells you to do it for off roading. the use the attachment system they do so its easy to remove.

if your talking about what i think you are. you are talking about the little lower air valance right?

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Barnettamb View Post
    Why did chevrolet put that dumb plastic front bumper thing on there trucks? the moment you go offroad its plastic bolts break and it gets ripped right off. The least they could have done was put it on with metal bolts............

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

and the same thing happened to my friend with a tahoe...
    The removable plastic valence gets you about 1mpg ... which is why it was put on the truck. As has been noted in previous responses the fasteners are intended to allow you to easily remove it for off-road use. In this way GM has provided you with something you can use for better mileage while on the road ... and remove for clearance when going off-road. If you don't want to risk harming it while going off-road then remove it, as it was designed for exactly that!

well i always knew you could probably just take it off but i didnt thing it would be very easy... i saw on the other day with it off and it looked pretty dumb so i just never bothered.

Legend

Blog Entries

I took mine off permanently due to how much time I spend off-roading, and although it does easily come off, it was too much of a hassle for me. I think it looks better off on lifted trucks than on stock height rides.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

yeah that sierra looks good without it. mine probably wouldnt

I removed mine permanently, as well ... well before I added a winch. The truck just looks better to me without it. (It'd have had to go when I added the winch carrier, anyway, as mine's a hidden carrier.)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by