GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Thinking of customizing my CAI ram air scoop

So this past weekend I installed my new Volant cold air intake. Had ordered the intake that included the ram air scoop, but had a little trouble with the scoop. I think the contributing factors of unclear directions and lack of time influenced me to give up on installing the scoop till another day. I had even toyed with the idea of not using it. Well then today I was thinking about it at work and had an idea. One of the reasons I had considered not using it was because it stuck down below the air dam and seemed to be a bit of an eye soar. That's when it hit me. Why not put it in the air dam. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to customize my scoop to fit in my air dam. It will require trimming down the boot the scoop fits on coming off the bottom of the air box and my customizing or possibley fabricating a new mounting bracket that supports the scoop. But all that should be doable. And of course it would require cutting the air dam and maybe reenforcing it afterwards but all possible. I know it's alot of work for just a ram air scoop but I think it would look cool, and just a fun mod to do. What do you think? Any foreseen problems with what I'm preposeing. Thanks for the feedback.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I know a few people that have done that Some even put it where the factory Tow hooks are.. Not hard just a little cutting and Plastic Weld..All hidden
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Shouldn't be any issue with that idea.

Enlighten me what did they do with the plastic weld? Reinforce the air dam.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Reshapped the tube and airdam..