GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: confused

Hybrid View

Sr. Apprentice

Default confused

I will be building my first bigger system in about two months. I know what head unit and speakers that i want to use, but where i am confused is with the amps. I think i am going to use a 5 channel amp but I have seen the fuse on them range from 1 30amp to 3 35amp also seen them at 1 100amp. This is my issue I am not sure what i will need to upgrade in my truck to handle the extra power draw. I've read the alternator first then battery then capacitor. Then some where i heard that if i do the alternator that will not do anything and i should do the battery first. My truck has the 145 alternator and only the single stock battery. I have a 2011 chevy silverado z71 with tow package. So i guess my questions are at what point will i need to start upgrading stuff and what would be the best order if i need too.

OK... Here is some info we need.

What deck? (What are you going to use it for? Rock, rap, country, ect.)
    What kind of speakers? How many?
    Are you going to run tweeters and cross overs?
    What brand of amp? Wattage?
    How many subs? What kind? What ohm? How big?
    Are you using it ALL the time, or shot bursts?

Let us know your plan then we can give you some more info..

Also.. Is your truck a standard, extended, or crew cab? And what kind of motor in it?
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by osgprometheus View Post
    OK... Here is some info we need.

What deck? (What are you going to use it for? Rock, rap, country, ect.)
    What kind of speakers? How many?
    Are you going to run tweeters and cross overs?
    What brand of amp? Wattage?
    How many subs? What kind? What ohm? How big?
    Are you using it ALL the time, or shot bursts?

Let us know your plan then we can give you some more info..

Also.. Is your truck a standard, extended, or crew cab? And what kind of motor in it?
    This x2. We need as much data as you can provide in order to give good feedback.

Sr. Apprentice

Ok here is what i am positive on right now. The Head unit Pioneer AVH-8400BH Speakers Massive Audio Rx6 componets 50-250 rms at 4ohms for the front and Rk6 coaxials 50-200 rms at 4ohms. As for the sub and amp not sure yet. I have looked at the kenwood xr-5s soundstream rub5.800 and ref5.1000 massive audio nx-5 (but read some bad things about this one over heating) and power acoustik gt 5-2500. also was looking at dual amp set-ups but figured that would be too much of a pain. As for the sub I was thinking nothing bigger then 600 watt rms again i looked at alot of different brands form alphasonik to kenwood to jl audio.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Oh and I mostly listen to classic rock.

How about the cab? Standard, extended, or crew? Be careful on your air space when you buy a subwoofer. Calculate your airspace o you will not get the proper preformance and life out of your subs.

When you upgrade your system, the first thing I always do is buy a high output alternator and get it re spun by a specialst tighter so it puts out more amperage. Use a compasitor, and possibly deep cycle battery. It sounds like you can get away with that with what you are going to do right now. If you plan on going bigger, you can add another battery to the mix also. ZMake sure you have the proper amp cable so you don't starve the amp for power.

Sr. Apprentice

My truck is a crew cab. I never even thought about air space. My concern is that one amp says it takes 3 35amp fuse and say the kenwood xr-5s that takes 2 30 amp fuse. I am pretty sure that most of my 145 amp alternator is going to be used by what is in the truck maybe leaving me like 20% at most so that leaves me with about 29 amps. Unless i am wrong it would already be more then what my alternator is rated for even if i get the kenwood xr-5s.

Multiple amps doesn't mean he would need a bigger alt...total current draw at idle in relation to total current production (from alt.) at idle is the determining factor. This is the following, common, steps for power upgrading

1st- Big 3 upgrade, DC is a loop (direct current, travels from the negative battery terminal to the positive). Basically, the smallest wire in your system will be what determines the max current your devices receive, if you run 4awg to your amp but your battery is grounded to the chassis with 8awg, your 4awg will only pass the amount of current that the 8awg will allow.

Think of it this way...take a milk shake, the milk shake is the available current, the person drinking the milk shake is the amplifier drawing power, the straw is the conductor, the harder you suck on the straw, the more power you are demanding, so you wan a bigger straw right? Now put a kink in that straw, your now only getting what that kink will allow, having a big straw all of the sudden doesn't matter...

2nd- battery battery battery, Enki said it, caps are pointless. Upgrade to an isolated deep cycle battery.

3rd-alternator, this is the final step, one you don't need, your system is still pretty small, you would do fine with upgrading all your wires and then adding a battery.

Sr. Apprentice

Ok thanks I often wondered what the big 3 was. So if I put in a battery isolator I could keep the factory battery for starting and then get say a yellow top to run the amps. Of course this would be if i build a system that draws like 100,000 watts lol.
    Last edited by Blackmatter; 05-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Lol uh, 100,000watt system would need a **** ton of batteries lol and alternators...lots! I compete and my system is about 7,800 watts and I'm running a 410amp alternator and 6 batteries, no caps.

Big 3...power from alternator to battery, ground from battery to chassis, ground from engine to chassis

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    Lol uh, 100,000watt system would need a **** ton of batteries lol and alternators...lots! I compete and my system is about 7,800 watts and I'm running a 410amp alternator and 6 batteries, no caps.

Big 3...power from alternator to battery, ground from battery to chassis, ground from engine to chassis
    LMAO!!! That's very true man. lol

You would have to be running a shovel in a rock quarry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast