GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for advice on a little bit of everything except drivetrain

Ok guys, like the title says, I'm looking for advice on basically everything except the drivetrain (that part I have covered since it's my area of expertise).

As some of you already know, my 93 Burb is becoming my mobile radio platform/emergency response vehicle. I'm involved with the local ARES, who in turn is coordinated very will with the County EMA. I have training in a pretty wide range of things from the military applicable to emergency response, especially medical training.

Anyway, because of this, I need to start working on the brakes, suspension, etc., to support this. It will definitely see adverse weather conditions and will see time off the hardball. That being said, it's also my daily driver, so lifting it way up in the air and huge tires and the such is out of the question. Even if it wasn't my DD I still have an growing antenna farm on top and I'll already be cutting it close on overhead clearance and the like. I already have tires picked out for it, just waiting on the money to buy them. Probably should look into a grille guard as well. Nerf bars aren't out of the question either.

So let's hear everyone's thoughts on the subject. I know it's a lot that I'm looking for covering a lot of areas but I'm interested on everyone's thoughts. This'll be the first truck where I've modified anything other than the drivetrain (that's coming soon as well but my mind is made up there).
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

grill guard, nerf bars, tires, leveling kit, spare tire mount. you may want to look into some sort of combo roof rack/off road lights/antenna mount.

dual batterys, upgrade alternator, aux tranny/radiator cooling. dunno what tires you are looking at, but as long as they are some sort of decent A/Ts. beyond that. its all up to you.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

@SierraOwner5.3 covered it pretty well. I'd add a battery isolator, 'big 3' wiring upgrade, and caliper/rotors/brake pad/brake line upgrades to his list -- with the brake additions being added largely due to your intention to drive during inclement weather.

As far as tires go, I'm getting the Goodyear SilentArmor. I was already planning on the dual battery and upgraded battery due to the radio equipment that will be going in as soon as I have the new console built. The spare tire is mounted inside the back of the Burb, back behind where the 3rd row would be (if I still had it in there). Didn't think about the aux tranny cooler though so I definitely appreciate that suggestion. The suspension and brakes will be due soon so I'll have to figure out exactly what I want to do with that. I do know I'll be getting heavy duty on that type of stuff due to what the truck will be used for, I just don't know much about exactly what I should go with for that stuff, hence the thread.

KJ4CLI

I recommend slotted rotors to reduce heat build-up. (DO NOT go with drilled rotors as they tend to crack when subjected to extremes ... but slotted is fine.) Use cryo-treated rotors if your budget will allow for it, as they resist warpage better than other rotors due to their tempering. Semi-metallic pads have better cold bite and wet stopping capability than ceramics ... but produce more dust. You might even consider a big brake kit if you're running 18" wheels or larger (required to get a big brake kit in place); can't use 16's or 17's) and have the cash for that kind of thing.

Gonna bring this thread back from the dead. Any particular brands to look for as far as brakes? All this driving on post is wearing my brakes down quickly and I'm not going to have the luxury to save up for a high dollar brake system. Big brake kit is out of the question as I have no plans to go to larger rims any time soon. I know everyone says slotted rotors and semi-metallic pads. That much I understand. But what brands do people recommend? I haven't done anything other than OEM on a truck before, and this is the first full size truck I've had to buy brakes for.

KJ4CLI

Surrealone and Sierraowner gave a good list of upgrades. as far as brands for upgraded brakes, look at R1 Concepts. They advertise more towards the ricers but also sell the slotted rotors for trucks. I have had a set on my wifes car for a years and have been happy and will probably put them on the truck if the stock ones ever wear down. I dont know how much there is to the cross drilleds cracking as I havent looked into it but my wifes car has cross drilled and slotted with no problems and corvette, Mercedes, and other high end vehicles use cross drilled (doesnt mean they dont have an issue just putting it out there) Little extra for the premium over the eline but would be worth it and prices were good last time I checked. Powerslot is also another very popular brand for the rotors. Definately agree with the semi-metalics and I use NAPA premium which run as much as the ceramics, but reybestos also used to be a very quality brand. There are Hawk and greenstuff, so lots of choices there and some will make you pay more even though there may not be a huge increase in performance.
    I would suggest also braided stainless steal brake lines from Russell.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Russel
    http://russellperformance.com/mc/bra...es_truck.shtml

I think this would be yours
    part #672370

Here is a link to the R1 concepts brakes for your Burb
    http://www.r1concepts.com/chevrolet-...993-brakes.htm
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 04-24-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Blog Entries

i'm a noob when it comes to body/engine mods, but i can suggest the big 3 like SurrealOne said. if you can, look at upgrading your alternator too . as far as brands, knukonceptz sells high quality wire for a good price. 1/0 is the way to go. most places will charge up to $6/ft for the stuff! http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...0Fleks%20Kable

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bla 2453.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	38354 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bla 2455.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	38355

if you do happen to need a HO alt, there are lots of different brands, most of which make bolt-on alts. i use dc power, but there's also mechman, singer, excessive amperage to name a few.

here's some that would bolt on to the burb
    https://www.dcpowerinc.com/category/...rban&year=1993
    THE LIST:
    -custom paint low profile bed cover
    -DC Power 300SPX alternator
    -K&N intake
    -1/0 stinger power and ground wire for BIG 3
    -Optima Yellowtop battery
    -2 stinger volt meters
    -kenwood HU
    -Hifonics brutus elite 1100 watt amp
    -2 12" kicker cvr subwoofers
    -No back seat!
    Audio Nut and proud of it!

Thanks dsfloyd. That's what I was looking for.

bigbasschevy, You were a tad late to the party on that one as I already have the power system planned. That was the first thing I planned out. I've been in ham radio long enough to know what kind of power these suckers draw. And I'll have at least 2 or 3 starting out installed. The main purpose of the thread from the start was brakes and suspension and anything else that might help from a driveability standpoint considering the truck's purpose.

KJ4CLI

Ok so I have the front brakes planned. Doesn't look like there's a whole lot of options available for the rear brakes. Am I wrong and just not looking in the right places? I'm fixin to put together a spreadsheet of what all I'm gonna need. Redstone Arsenal (about an hour and a half from me) has a very nice autocraft shop so I plan on doing it myself there. Heck, they even have a paint shop that you can use. So advice on rear brakes? And what about brands on suspension? I remember seeing a thread where someone had some good suggestions but can't remember where it was for the life of me.

KJ4CLI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast