GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Installing a Tablet

So im new to this whole Forum thing but i have a 2008 Silverado LT crew cab and im looking into installing a Toshiba Thrive Tablet into my dash or the center consule. does anyone know if this can be done and what do i need to do it. Also will it work with the stock stereo? i would like to at some point have all the motor indic on it. Thanks for your help

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

DC stop by the intro thread and say hi there so we all get a chance to meet you, and yes it can be done, but its lots of work and planing,,,,
    I have my service truck done up for a laptop/gps and laser equipment, I have started the top kick with the basics, but have not gone any father with it as of yet.....but will venture back down that road in the months to come.... as to making sure everything is compatible will be your first step, and its a big one.. had lots of troubles with the service truck......

You can pretty much put anything in the dash or console with proper planning. It CAN be done, but cross all your t's and dot all of your I's.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

What is it that you want to be able to do with your tablet? There are a lot of cool things you can do with a tab, including OBDII monitoring, GPS and other stuff. It all depends upon what you want to do and your level of skill!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

As moogvo stated there are tons of things you can do with a tablet. My concern would be what happens when your tablet breaks? If that exact tablet is not around in a few years you are stuck with a hole that has to be filled with another tablet. Chances are the tablets will just get smaller and smaller

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)