GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Suggestions?

I third the 4.10 swap. It may be unintuitive that you can get better mpg with shorter gears, but you can. Key to this is the fact that with shorter gears on inclines you can often stay in overdrive (or a higher gear) without downshifting to ascend said inclines.

People told me I'd lose mpg with my 4.56's (with 34.3" tire diameter) but when I changed from 3.73's to 4.56's I gained ~1.2mpg combined (hwy/city). I saw an increase of closer to ~2mpg on the highway, largely because I don't drop out of overdrive at highway speeds unless I'm in steep hills or the mountains. On the flip side, mpg goes south really quickly if I travel more than 70mph ... which I seldom do.

Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Did you see the G-80 as well, in conjunction with your gear RPO code? If so, you already have your limited slip mod taken care of already

I took a picture of the code tag. For some reason I could not up load it here. I put it with my truck pictures in my profile. I did not see that code
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curky View Post
    I took a picture of the code tag. For some reason I could not up load it here. I put it with my truck pictures in my profile. I did not see that code
    Sorry to hear....I was really hoping you had it already.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Sorry to hear....I was really hoping you had it already.
    Did you take a look at the picture?
    I could have missed it. It would be pretty cool if I did.

Since you don't have a factory G80, you might want to think about an aftermarket locker. You could also see if you can find a complete 4.10 G80 rear from a Z71 at the junkyard. That might save you some money that way between gears and locker.

I looked at your pic, You didn't miss it.

To swap it out, would I just look for a Silverado rear Axle with 4.10 and posy 2008 and up. I have no clue on my options. Remember I’m not stupid just not a mechanic and new to trucks.

Legend

Blog Entries

I just checked and it is not there. It would have been next to your GU5. Originally, I did not check your pic as I am sure if it was there, you would've caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post
    Since you don't have a factory G80, you might want to think about an aftermarket locker. You could also see if you can find a complete 4.10 G80 rear from a Z71 at the junkyard. That might save you some money that way between gears and locker.

I looked at your pic, You didn't miss it.
    Thank you. You have been a great help. That is what my plain will be at this point unless something changes.

To swap it out, would I just look for a Silverado rear Axle with 4.10 and posy 2008 and up. I have no clue on my options. Remember I’m not stupid just not a mechanic and new to trucks.

We know you're not stupid. Everyone had to start somewhere. 07- up would
    be a direct bolt in swap.

Legend

Blog Entries

Yes... you can either have a salvage yard provide you the RPO codes or you can look up RPO codes by VIN. You will be looking for RPO codes G80 (locking diff) and GT5 (4.10 gears).

RPO VIN decoder link: http://www.decodethis.com/

To be clear though, the G80 is not a posi rear end. It is a limited slip with a locking function.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post
    We know you're not stupid. Everyone had to start somewhere.
    X2 on that....you should see my early posts...in fact, I had many of the same questions regarding differentials as you Curky when I was trying to decide how to improve mine. That's what this forum is here for.