GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default towing a trailer to ga for the 1st time in this truck

should i use tow/haul the whole way or no. it weighs 5478 lbs. moving to new duty station near savannah and packed my house up in trailer. any info would help

For 5000 pounds and heading into mountains, yes, use the tow/haul switch. It modifies your shift points and disables the torque converter lockup to keep from cooking your transmission. Take it easy and provide plenty of time for braking, since I'm assuming you do not have trailer brakes.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    For 5000 pounds and heading into mountains, yes, use the tow/haul switch. It modifies your shift points and disables the torque converter lockup to keep from cooking your transmission. Take it easy and provide plenty of time for braking, since I'm assuming you do not have trailer brakes.
    thanks. i know when i hit ga i will hit some valleys so ill make sure to hit it. so just use it on big hills and not the whole way right. and no i dont have a trailer brake on this truck yet. trailer has it but i dont have the controller which sucks. its my bike trailer with all my house hold stuff in it and the bike is on the back of the truck now.

Definitely use it the whole way. If the trailer were light, <1500 pounds or so, I'd say use it until you get on the interstate and give turning it off a shot and check rpms, but for 5000 pounds, it needs to be on or you will cook the transmission.

Sr. Apprentice

I agree with crawdaddy use it the whole way. Not only will it help you going down the hills but also climbing them too.

you may want to look into a break module for your trailer breaks, if they trailer is already equipped it should cost less then 100 for a decent module. the truck may be prewired also. I know on my old 2005 silverado it came prewired with a harness for the module. It would save your truck breaks some wear and tear.
    2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    LED Dome light
    LED Floor lights
    RC Leveling kit
    Tow Mirrors Custom LED running/signal lights
    BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover

I don't have anything to add on the towing question that hasn't already been said, but a tip about Stewart and Hinesville. Be careful off post, the local fuzz can be ..... a PITA to put it mildly. Buy alot of bugspray also. LOL. Good luck and have a safe journey.

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 AM ----------

Oh and try to plan your trip so you hit Atlanta between 1pm and 3pm or after 8pm. It'll make life so much easier. Also go straight through Atlanta, stay off 285. Everyone thinks it will be the fastest way so in turn it has more traffic.

Use tow/haul the entire way, another thing it DOES do (verified this with my GM tech 2) is it increases your timing and actually gives your truck more power for pulling, also as it has been mentioned, it saves your transmission although I think it actually LOCKS your torque converter in according to some GM master techs I know. I would also allow your truck to cool down from time to time, every few hrs. This means let it run and leave it in neutral, cool down time is about three hrs, if you just stop and shut your truck off, that's HORRIBLE on a transmission, unfortunately most people do indeed just shut their truck off thinking they are doing it a favor.

I have a 2004 half-ton and I tow a pretty damn big boat all over the state of Alaska, through the mountains, in the valleys, on ****ty roads, our temps in the summer when I'm towing the most are about 95 degrees so we get hot enough to torch a transmission that is being abused.

Tow haul on all the way=happy truck