GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new alternator

As enki mentioned I don't think your getting 1300 Watts from the amps.

If you're getting dimming of your lights now you may Consider upgrading the "big 3"(google upgrading big 3").

To be honest you may c solve any issues your having if any with some alternative methods.

Iam running 1000w @ 1ohm on my subs and 75w X 4 my other amp on my stock alternator.

So I guess Iam wondering why you feel you need the upgrade? If you had 5 amps I would say you should upgrade..right now it seems more of s want than a need which is fine if that's what you want.

yes the big 3 is on my list i have a 50ft roll of kicker 1/0 gauge a friend gave me, just havent got the time with school and finals and work and kid etc.
    the reason is just mainly the voltage drop i have especially when idling, it will drop to 12.0 on long bass notes, the dimming really isnt as concerning, summer is looking to be busy for good work time on my truck lol but i like that kind of stuff

but i do agree with your no regrets statement as i have learned many time rather get it right the first time then have to come back and redo it
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Ohio Generator:330-875-6677.

Although I was not able to get a alternator from them for my application, the owner was extremely helpful and honest, did the calculations for my loads to see what I needed for an alternator. He also told me the aftermarket high output generators won't fit my engine. I did buy a alternator that has almost twice the output of my alternator but it is built into the stock case, from a local builder. He will also discuss with you the idle output of the "high output" alternators (theirs versus competitors) and why Ohio Generator is one of the only places that sells you an alternator that has a written certification of its output.

I have to agree with a post above. You likely don't need to upgrade to a "warp factor 7" alternator because your loads are not that big. There are some options other than just getting a huge alternator if you have lights dimming on base notes. If you talk to the owner at Ohio Generator, he can discuss your loads and what he thinks you really need in terms of alternator output. You may be surprised how little you need. 3333330-875-66770-875-6677
    Last edited by The Heater; 05-04-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
    Ohio Generator:330-875-6677.

Although I was not able to get a alternator from them for my application, the owner was extremely helpful and honest, did the calculations for my loads to see what I needed for an alternator. He also told me the aftermarket high output generators won't fit my engine. I did buy a alternator that has almost twice the output of my alternator but it is built into the stock case, from a local builder. He will also discuss with you the idle output of the "high output" alternators (theirs versus competitors) and why Ohio Generator is one of the only places that sells you an alternator that has a written certification of its output.

I have to agree with a post above. You likely don't need to upgrade to a "warp factor 7" alternator because your loads are not that big. There are some options other than just getting a huge alternator if you have lights dimming on base notes. If you talk to the owner at Ohio Generator, he can discuss your loads and what he thinks you really need in terms of alternator output. You may be surprised how little you need. 3333330-875-66770-875-6677

Well said.. Tom or Gus at Ohio are the Guys to talk to when it comes to Alt's.. And if you are ever out in Ohio or a show that they are at Hang with them.. You will have a Blast.....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Don't use Ohio Generator's web site, call them. I guarantee it will be the most productive 15 minutes you spend in your quest for an upgraded alternator. They do not rely on their web site for that much business because they are so well established in the car audio and other industries that use higher output alternators. If you go to the web site, parts of it are under construction, and that is intentional according to Tom.

I will add that I emailed DC Engineering tech support about what they had for an alternator for my rig. Gave them all the information they wanted to evaluate my truck and my electrical needs (stereo system current draw, trailer accessories, etc.). That was over 3 months ago, and I am still waiting for them to respond. Last time I made a tech support inquiry was to Kicker, and they responded within 2 days. Kenwood responded the next day. I guess DC Engineering does not need my business.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
    Don't use Ohio Generator's web site, call them. I guarantee it will be the most productive 15 minutes you spend in your quest for an upgraded alternator. They do not rely on their web site for that much business because they are so well established in the car audio and other industries that use higher output alternators. If you go to the web site, parts of it are under construction, and that is intentional according to Tom.

I will add that I emailed DC Engineering tech support about what they had for an alternator for my rig. Gave them all the information they wanted to evaluate my truck and my electrical needs (stereo system current draw, trailer accessories, etc.). That was over 3 months ago, and I am still waiting for them to respond. Last time I made a tech support inquiry was to Kicker, and they responded within 2 days. Kenwood responded the next day. I guess DC Engineering does not need my business.
    Funny, I picked up the phone and called DC Power Enginering and got someone who answered my questions on the spot...

Maybe you should call them back and tell them to fire the person responsible for email correspondence.

While you're at it, ask them where their alternators are manufactured, and whether they use US made parts, do they each come with a written test and output certification, and if they have one for a 454 engine. That's what I asked and apparently no one knew the answers.

well thanks for all the info guys! i will definitely make a phone call as soon as i am able to and hopefully i will be pointed in a happy direction!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12