GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Former Member

Default How many of you actually look for Dexos1 approved oil?

Just bought a 2012 2500HD with a 6.0L.

Looking through the owner's manual, it states use Dexos1 approved oils...that really limits the oil you can use. Several name brand options I would use are not on the "approved" list, although I would hazard a guess they meet or exceed because they met the older GM specifications. The 2011s state you can use an API rated oil in substitution, but no mention of that for a 2012.

GM is charging $0.09/quart of oil for the Dexos1 approval...so we are paying GM for an oil they approve? Sounds like just another way they can generate income?

How many actually pay attention to the Dexos rating and just run a quality oil?

I run what I like in my truck and am not paying GM a surcharge for a hokey approval.

The Dexos approval are simply a list of bech marks an oil must meet to get the Dexos stamp of approval. You might find this article interesting.

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_....cfm?x=b11,0,w

Penzoil and Quaker State all have Deoxs rated oils also. On one of the performance truck sites some of the members buy a Mobile 1 OIL that is Dexos at oriellys auto parts.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Former Member

See that's just it...I have ran Schaeffer for the last five years...have the UOAs that show it works well. I talked with them yesterday, and they indicated that GM doesn't even want oils to state "meet" or "exceed" the Dexos rating, either they are approved or nothing.

I have a local guy that sells Amsoil...probably the route I will go after I do a couple "normal changes to flush things out.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Oils, and filters.... gm and all other manufactures John Deer, Cummins, Ford, Polaris etc. it doesn't matter which they all have finally figured out that there is no money in selling iron, no mater what your preference on iron is (trucks cars tractors) they make the the lions share of the profits on after initial sale, service and parts and warranty work.
    Now we the buying public need to be attracted to make a 60,000.00 dollar purchase , so they offer us a warranty, this warranty cuts into the profit so they put very rigorous qualifications on these warranties..... Such as what oil to use and filters, recommended shops and all kinds of things, to make sure this income comes their way.....

Now I know that the GM or John deer filters I buy and use, are made by Baldwin, or fram, and painted to suit the company with the warranty.....But while the equipment is on warranty i am forced to by these same filters at a inflated cost for some fancy paint..... this guaranties my warranty will remain valid.
    And realistically speaking I need that warranty, the equipment we run daily is very expensive to fix, so until that warranty period is over i am forced to use the recommended oils, fluids, and filters, the day the warranty is over, we go to our shop stock of these products, and do the work ourselves and save around 50% of the dealerships cost.... and have yet to have any related problems....

Ok hold on for this one, I don't know if you have ever really read or could understand any warranty agreement, from any manufacture. they are out there,,,, bumper to bumper,,, 3 full years,,,, 200000km..... well hold on it isn't like that at all......
    I was at My GM dealership last spring, and I do a fair bit of business with them, and was shocked as i was waiting for some parts, and over heard a customer and the service manager, discussing a warranty issue on a newer Car, purchased at the same dealership..... GM had Voided the warranty on this vehicle , as to some body work that was done at a shop other then a GM accredited shop..... the customer stated that this is a mechanical issue and nothing to do with the body work,,,,But the warranty was Voided By GM........ and if the dealership did cover these needed repairs under warranty it would be out of their own pocket .....I am sure the dealership has a slush fund for situations like this, for their preferred customers.....but all in all,,,its wrong...

In closing if you intend to use the warranty on any product read very closely the terms of this warranty, and comply with every demand the company makes, as this will give you the best chances of actually being able to use the warranty if ever needed..... It is sad but true.......

Use what you want. As long as it is the proper stuff they will not be able to tell the difference.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dog View Post
    Oils, and filters.... gm and all other manufactures John Deer, Cummins, Ford, Polaris etc. it doesn't matter which they all have finally figured out that there is no money in selling iron, no mater what your preference on iron is (trucks cars tractors) they make the the lions share of the profits on after initial sale, service and parts and warranty work.
    Now we the buying public need to be attracted to make a 60,000.00 dollar purchase , so they offer us a warranty, this warranty cuts into the profit so they put very rigorous qualifications on these warranties..... Such as what oil to use and filters, recommended shops and all kinds of things, to make sure this income comes their way.....

Now I know that the GM or John deer filters I buy and use, are made by Baldwin, or fram, and painted to suit the company with the warranty.....But while the equipment is on warranty i am forced to by these same filters at a inflated cost for some fancy paint..... this guaranties my warranty will remain valid.
    And realistically speaking I need that warranty, the equipment we run daily is very expensive to fix, so until that warranty period is over i am forced to use the recommended oils, fluids, and filters, the day the warranty is over, we go to our shop stock of these products, and do the work ourselves and save around 50% of the dealerships cost.... and have yet to have any related problems....

Ok hold on for this one, I don't know if you have ever really read or could understand any warranty agreement, from any manufacture. they are out there,,,, bumper to bumper,,, 3 full years,,,, 200000km..... well hold on it isn't like that at all......
    I was at My GM dealership last spring, and I do a fair bit of business with them, and was shocked as i was waiting for some parts, and over heard a customer and the service manager, discussing a warranty issue on a newer Car, purchased at the same dealership..... GM had Voided the warranty on this vehicle , as to some body work that was done at a shop other then a GM accredited shop..... the customer stated that this is a mechanical issue and nothing to do with the body work,,,,But the warranty was Voided By GM........ and if the dealership did cover these needed repairs under warranty it would be out of their own pocket .....I am sure the dealership has a slush fund for situations like this, for their preferred customers.....but all in all,,,its wrong...

In closing if you intend to use the warranty on any product read very closely the terms of this warranty, and comply with every demand the company makes, as this will give you the best chances of actually being able to use the warranty if ever needed..... It is sad but true.......
    John deere drives me crazy with all their maintiance shanagans. Sometimes I wish our old Massey ferguson still ran even though it wouldn't pull my Bailer or seeder
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod