GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Airaid Intake Tube

I'm considering adding an Airaid modular intake tube to my 5.3L, which has a K&N filter and Diablew tune. Looking for some improvement in performance but can not decrease mpg. Anyone have/like the M.I.T.?
    2007 Chevy Silverado NBS Z71, 5.3L, 2wd

You likely won't see performance gains. You can't put more air into the engine than it can consume ... and from the look of things you've done no exhaust work.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    You likely won't see performance gains. You can't put more air into the engine than it can consume ... and from the look of things you've done no exhaust work.
    Will a performance exhaust help? Ive heard the gm exhausts are not significantly restricted compared to aftermarket.

You have heard/read correctly that the OEM exhaust is more than adequate. CAI/intake work coupled with exhaust work will yield moderate improvements ... but mostly at WOT.

Don't expect miracles from such mods. I've personally found the biggest improvements to have come from my tuner and custom tune -- which I see you've already got. Everything else is much, much smaller in terms of cost-to-benefit ratio ... primarily because the parts cost so much and the benefits are pretty minimal. I've read a few people claiming 1.5mpg from CAI's and I'd kill to have a CAI that gave me 1.5mpg. So far such claims have all been unsubstantiated. :(

I installed an airaid intake which seemed to wake it up a bit. But its all relative to your perception I guess. I also have a custom tune and changed out the exhaust and gears.

I did get a performance gain, well at least according to the seat of my pants test With said I did not lose MPG and maybe a slight gain on the freeway.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Any mod that makes YOU happy is worth it.
    I'm happy with mine.

The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

Id say you may pick up alittle performance but idk if youd notice it. By adding the tube you would probably notice alittle better throttle response. The tube will be smoother thus reducing the restriction of the air flow. A exhaust will deff help. My 2 cents

Should I decide to add a performance muffler, would it be a waste to buy replace the muffler alone in lieu of a cat-back package?

its deff better to do the whole thing. your pretty much just gunna notice a diff in the sound but thats about it unless you do the whole thing. i would recommend a magnaflow, or corsa catbat there great systems and have free flowing exhaust un like a flowmaster. im currently running a flowmaster super 44 sounds good but ill pick up alittle hp with a free flowing muffler
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning I put on the Airaid MIT on my 2012 Sierra 4X4 XLT -Black with 1,200 miles on it. It took me about 45 minutes. I got hung up on trying to remove the air hose from air valve stem trying not to break the connector--there is a push-in release that is hard to see. I could tell an immediate difference in the truck. Throttle response is obvious immediately. There is no hesitation starting from a stop and the idle seems to be smoother. Also, it sounds awesome when you get on the throttle. The truck seems like it can breathe better and is much happier. I read where the MIT and K & N air filter combination was the best. The K & N is being shipped from Amazon now. Total invested between the two--$155. Cheap Mod and well worth it. I hope it helps with gas mileage. I will post results soon.

11. Likes HomiesWhiteRado liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by