GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyTN View Post
    Paint and all, I am PISSED... I mean damn! I just got the thing! Mama always said I can't keep nothin nice! haha...
    I'm gonna check out that protective film, I really don't like the mud flaps they make anymore.

My GMC never did anything like this though and I had it for three years of mud and gravel roads. That's the only thing that makes me worry, this is brand new and already chipping.

I had a 3" lift and mud tires on the GMC though, maybe the mud tires didn't hold onto rocks like this AT tires?

Just grasping at ideas to rationalize my hurt feelins
    Check out this site, it has pre-cut protective film. A little pricey but if you can put it on yourself you'll save a lot of money.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/index.htm

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by TylerB View Post
    I have the same exact truck, same 2012 Z71 package in red with the painted red bumper. I started noticing paint chips right away also. Mine has around 3500 miles and it has never seen gravel or any off-roading whatsoever. I have paint chips on the front, a lot behind the tires; excessively more than what should be normal for the amount of driving, and I even have a few chips on the roof of my pickup, not sure how this is possible. If this is the paint they put on their new trucks I will never purchase another one again. I did not have any issues with my 2001, 2004, or 2007 silverado and I was a very loyal Silverado person.
    To reply to the following post, "...,and there are rock chips behind..." <<<< that there is your answer."
    This is not normal wear and tear on the paint. There is no reason to have the amount of chips driving 1000-4000 miles; this is NOT NORMAL!!!!
    Makes me question my choice in a new pickup.
    Tyler
    None of this would be covered by warranty? I'd be awfully upset too!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerB View Post
    I even have a few chips on the roof of my pickup, not sure how this is possible. If this is the paint they put on their new trucks I will never purchase another one again. This is not normal wear and tear on the paint. There is no reason to have the amount of chips driving 1000-4000 miles; this is NOT NORMAL!!!!
    Makes me question my choice in a new pickup.
    Tyler
    I agree, My 2011 also had 3 chips in the paint on the roof that Dumb me didnt look at when I bought the truck. Noticed it when I got home with the truck after driving it home with 600 miles. I have at least 4 chips on each side of the truck with only 3800 miles on it. Ive read that the trucks painted in Mexico were below standard so this may have been the issue. SUCKS!!
    Last edited by the phantom; 06-18-2012 at 06:10 PM.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    I agree, My 2011 also had 3 chips in the paint on the roof that Dumb me didnt look at when I bought the truck. Noticed it when I got home with the truck after driving it home with 600 miles. I have at least 4 chips on each side of the truck with only 3800 miles on it. Ive read that the trucks painted in Mexico were below standard so this may have been the issue. SUCKS!!
    2010 silverado got taken back to dealer with this very question at 1400 miles. They told me it was not warrantable and it was due to increased construction in the area. I showed pics of my 2007 silverado that had none of that after 80,000+ miles and running dirt roads and Wyoming gravel roads for 2 years. They said my 07 was painted in Usa and the new trucks are being painted south of the border. Still no help from Gm.
    Have you had pitting on your windshield that is more prevalent than in previous years?
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    Have you had pitting on your windshield that is more prevalent than in previous years?
    I havent had any issues with the windshield. Yet! But now you give me something more to not look forward to.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    I havent had any issues with the windshield. Yet! But now you give me something more to not look forward to.

I have replaced mine three times. One was helped with a BB or Pellet gun the next just seem to pit , even though there is little dust or flying debri.
    My 07 went through an Albuquerque sandstorm and cam out fine. But these factory windshields are pitting at about 2500 miles
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    I have replaced mine three times. One was helped with a BB or Pellet gun the next just seem to pit , even though there is little dust or flying debri.
    My 07 went through an Albuquerque sandstorm and cam out fine. But these factory windshields are pitting at about 2500 miles
    So you are replacing it with a factory installed windshield, or are you taking it to a windshield shop? Only curious because we had the same issue with a company truck and ended up taking it to a local shop and haven't had any issues since (about 1500 miles ago).
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

I have just bought a 2012 Black Silverado Z71 LTZ package. I only had 37 miles and had a paint chip on the drivers side cab corner. GM repaired it. I now have had the truck almost 30 days and have 4,000 miles on it and have 4 more paint chips on the passenger side. All of the chips go down to the primer. I have called GM customer service and they are tracking it. I take the vehicle down to the body shop on Friday for them to take a look at it. I have running boards on the truck. Just trying to figure out why this paint is chipping all the way down to the primer?

my 2010 looks like you shot it with birdshot. Take off your stock tires and replace with a more aggressive tread. VERY POOR DESIGN IMO. Fords have a 1/4" of clear coat at the bottom of their trucks. They dont chip.... I feel your pain.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...730#post400730 just read my post. lol

My 2010 Sierra has chips on the hood and both front fenders! I am not to happy either. I think GM has sunk to a new low as far as paint goes..........
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast