GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sr. Mechanic

Gentlemen, This is happening to all makes of vehicles. I had a Honda Accord which was the same way. Severe chips on the front of the hood. You can thank a branch of government for this, specifically the EPA. They required most solvents to be removed from paint compounds. All paints are now aqueous based (water) and are prone to chipping.

Hope this hepls!
    Last edited by CKNSLS; 03-11-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
    Gentlemen, This is happening to all makes of vehicles. I had a Honda Accord which was the same way. Severe chips on the front of the hood. You can thank a branch of government for this, specifically the EPA. They required most solvents to be removed from paint compounds. All paints are now aqueous based (water) and are prone to chipping.

Hope this hepls!
    Did you take it back to the dealer? They do have a 3/36 bumper to bumper. Paint should not be falling off.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Look for recalls on paint it happens some times. In the 90's the white trucks had a major recall because GM used the wrong mix and clear coat so a lot of 94-97 white trucks peel paint a lot mainly on the front of the hood and top of the hood. My truck had that recall but never was brought in before it expired.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Folks, it really doesnt matter that your truck is painted in mexico or here in the states. Humans hands dont pain the trucks - robots do. They are setup to use the LEAST amount of material. Also, they are painted in mexico because the EPA is a Royal pain in the arse.

Want a better paint job? Get the Government out of the EPA business.

I put 3 med wet coats of clear on everything. Our trucks maybe have 2 light coats. Your tires, other cars all contribute to your chips.

Take the truck to the dealer, they can determine if it has the factory standard for paint thickness etc...dont let them tell you they cant. If it doesnt they should fix it.

But you arent going to see a finish like this on our trucks from the factory. (corvette intake)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130313_190755.jpg  

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

2012 Silverado Z71 LTZ with paint chipping on the front bumper. Hood is fine, fenders fine, no paint chipping anywhere else, but 20-30 rock chips on the front bumper. I drive hard surface highways almost exclusively with very little gravel. The dealer told me that is normal wear and tear. Are they nuts? This is my 6th Chevy truck since 1972 and none of the others had this paint defect. Truck is 9 months old, what's it going to look like in 3-4 years. Chevy needs to step up and correct this issue, period.

Sr. Mechanic

It's been my experience that since the EPA mandated aqueous (water) based paints that the adhesion of this paint is really bad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123