GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default bent vinyl emblem repair

I went to the salvage yard yesterday to see if they had any cool parts I could use. I ended up finding alot of garage art emblem lol A Couple complete SILVERADO letters & one that just had SILVER nnbs style. I also found a red outline bowtie emblem from an mid nintys camaro, in my style. And the one thats needing repair is exactly like my new tailgate decal, it came off a nintys z24 cavaler no doubt lol (that cav also had the exact same red outline bowtie as the camaro but I couldn't peel it off. Anyways when I peeled the vinyl or rubber emblem off the cav it bent & is sort of rolled. I don't exactly remember how to fix this. Would a light dose of a heat gun lay it back out flat? Thinking clamping it down on both ends & heating it but I don't want to melt it, not many left arround & thinking I can use it on the interior lol. If you have any different solutions or think the heat trick will work let me know. thanks

Also I found most of a black interior for the nnbs trucks from a wt all just laying it the truck, kicking myself today should have found out how much it all cost, cleaning dirty parts seems easier than painting my existing parts & getting the paint to match the factory black.
    2007 Silverado RS, 4.8 V8, 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown
    Black painted front grille & bumper
    Black / red Painted bowties
    Black 18in. Silverado wheels
    Black / Red interior conversion (in process)
    89 Chevy Sport tribute decals

Jr. Apprentice

You could try a heat gun, but only on low heat I think. Best bet would be to put down a wet rag/towel, put the emblem on it upside down and hit that backside with the heat gun (don't get it too hot though). After it is warmed up, put a flat surface and heavy weight on it and leave it for a few hours to "reset". Alternative way is to try it without the heat and just the weight, might be a little safer for a first try. If it fails then use the heat method above.
    Rob - Campbell River, B.C.
    1997 GMC Jimmy SLT
    2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4

Thanks I never would have thought about using a wet rag also. I left it on my workbench in my HOT garage but didn't do anything without the weight. Right now its hanging on the fridge with two magnetic clips holding it flat. Thanks again for the help. I heard that with the rubber side moldings that when pulled off they will curve but to let them set out in the sun on a hot day & they would lay down, of course the side moldings are heavier than an emblem lol

Jr. Apprentice

Let us know how it turns out. And yeah, the wet rag serves two purposes. It keeps the front side cooler and will prevent any burn or flashback from heat hitting the front surface. Whenever dealing with plastic/rubber parts and heat I always use a wet rag around or under the part, just in case.
    Last edited by Dnarvel; 05-04-2012 at 05:19 PM.

When I got home from work this morning I pulled it off the fridge & that helped still had a slight curve so I wrapped it in a wet rag set a heavy book on it & left it for about 8 hours then checked it. The progress is working this way the ends still had a slight curve to them but over all its flat but since I'm not going to be able to really do anything with it til tomorrow or Sunday I rewrapped it & put the book back on. So without heat this process is working out well. Heat would work if you didn't have alot of time to spend letting it set but I've messed up aot of stuff by having to rush through it. Thanks again for the rag tip I'll have to write that down in my modbook so I can remember next time.