GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

The reality is that the Camry and Corolla get impressive fuel economy numbers and are more affordable than the Prius. I wasn't necessarily doing a comparison shootout between them. If one had good sense, they would forgo the Prius in favor of a gasoline powered compact. the extra costs associated with the hybrid are not worth it in the end.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post
    Why in the world would you buy a fullsize truck? I swear, Trade the dang thing in on a honda or Shut up and drive it.

Sorry for the rant, but I just think its dumb to buy a fullsize truck and complain about it fuel mileage.
    I have a 3500 dually and I don't complain about my mileage, I get any where from 15 to 20 mpg and I don't bitch about the mileage. But I do bitch about the price of diesel. Trade in on a Honda, a Honda won't pull my boat to the lake! Oh wait I do also have a Honda Accord and it won't pull my boat. I haven't tried but it worked my poor Avalanche, so it would probably kill my Honda.

OK now I feel better!
    Last edited by giorge; 05-09-2012 at 12:24 AM.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by giorge View Post
    I have a 3500 dually and I don't complain about my mileage, I get any where from 15 to 20 mpg and I don't bitch about the mileage. But I do bitch about the price of diesel. Trade in on a Honda, a Hond won't pull my boat to the lake! Oh wait I do also have a Honda Accord and it won't pull my boat. I haven't tried but it worked my poor Avalanche, so it would probably kill my Honda.

OK now I feel better!
    LMNBO. good point. Well taken and I am sure that felt good. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lol
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

I just couldn't resist!
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    The reality is that the Camry and Corolla get impressive fuel economy numbers and are more affordable than the Prius. I wasn't necessarily doing a comparison shootout between them. If one had good sense, they would forgo the Prius in favor of a gasoline powered compact. the extra costs associated with the hybrid are not worth it in the end.
    And this gets back to my original assertion ... that car manufacturers diversified and that diversification included investment in oil companies (if they were smart, it did, anyway). So really it's not in their overall best interests to make alternative energy/efficient vehicles affordable, thus, they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    And this gets back to my original assertion ... that car manufacturers diversified and that diversification included investment in oil companies (if they were smart, it did, anyway). So really it's not in their overall best interests to make alternative energy/efficient vehicles affordable, thus, they don't.
    Of course they did! They would have been foolish not to. I wrote a blog someplace about cars, oil companies and why Hybrids are a poor excuse at an attempt to convince auto buyers that they are trying to do something about economical cars and the price of fuel. They can't make them "too good" or else they will shoot themselves in the foot... That was pretty much the crux of it.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I think it's a funny thread.

When I was driving my 300C SRT8 I was lucky if I got 11.8 combined; I always had my foot in it. My little 4-banger MR2 turbo guzzled fuel, too; I could almost see the gas gauge dip when the turbo spooled up. And I'm SHOCKED (in a good way) at getting 14-16 in my lifted, big-tarred machine; it gets th best gas mileage out of any 4-wheeled vehicle I've owned, lol.

Surreal

P.S. I was getting about 11.2 shortly after I got the tires and such on it. This was before my tuner, custom tune, and re-gear. Heck, I thought 11.2 was fine for the size and weight of the machine, so I am ecstatic at 14-16.
    That may be a good way to convince my wife I need a tune for the truck. I get close to 12 and I drive nice and easy. but I also bought a commuter because of gas prices.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Of course they did! They would have been foolish not to. I wrote a blog someplace about cars, oil companies and why Hybrids are a poor excuse at an attempt to convince auto buyers that they are trying to do something about economical cars and the price of fuel. They can't make them "too good" or else they will shoot themselves in the foot... That was pretty much the crux of it.
    And if you have a 401k chances are you may be invested in oil too or should be
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 05-11-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

heck, some european diesels get 50+ with a manual. seems to me some americans need to get over their aversion to diesel. bio diesel is very doable. i think its something that needs to get looked at.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

its not just americans aversion to diesel. blame the environmentalists who cant make up their mind on what they want, and a lot of the pollution controls that are mandated in areas decrease mileage. Trust me I know I'm stuck in the communist state of Kalifornia, which went gungho on getting rid of diesel powered cars until just recently.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Diesel has many advantages and the oil companies jumped on board to increase the cost of diesel fuel. Diesel historically has always been 50 cents cheaper than unleaded and sometimes greater. The movement of truck owners to buy diesel powered trucks for many reason, but fuel savings at the forefront,caught the oil companies eyes and through collusion have made diesel the higher priced fuel as of late.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast