GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Former Member

Well, the center hump is out...there are both rear seat air ducts and wiring that traverse that area. I think I'm going to build a mount that fits under the center armrest, held in place using the seat belt, it will also rest on the floor (it will look like a "T" laid over). Then its removable, no holes drilled, and up high...sort of like my Big Bob's CB mount out of my Dodge (which I'm really surprised nobody makes for a GM)?

I'm also considering drilling the roof for a Wilson 5000, instead of a 102 this time around...haven't really made that decision yet. I did make a bracket for the 102 today, to hang off the tool box.

Sr. Apprentice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0042.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	39774I dont have a CB but have an Amatuer Radio (Ham Radio) in my 08...biggest thing was wiring directly to the Batt using a good gauge wire...I mounted mine to the lower section of the center seat..using a piece of hard maple..popped out the lock and bolted it directly through that opening..then screwing the radio bracket to the maple. I didnt want to drill any holes so I did it that way. then ran the wires under the carpet through the firewall..its up off the floor about 2 inches for air flow..in my radio everytime you key up it has an automatic fan on the back to keep the radio cool..puts out about 70watts so with no fan it gets pretty warm. attached is a pic..if you want more close up pics let me know and I'll snap some. Worked out really slick.
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 Reg Cab Long Box,K&N Air Filter,Toolbox,2M Amateur Radio for Emcomms.

Blog Entries

I mounted mine to the back of my custom center console:

And mounted my mic:

And my antenna:

Good reception, and I didn't run my power to my battery, but to my cigarette lighter fuse. I will probably go to a secondary battery later on, or even to the one I have now, but for now it is working. I plan on changing the antenna itself to a 5 footer, or moving it to the top of the truck after I get a basket for the cab.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

thats a interesting thought. hadnt thought of mounting the radio like that. no i have to figure out how to mount my antennas. might be a project for later this week.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Sounds like you are looking for something permanent. I know a couple guys that use velcro to hold the radio to the console. I have found out with the 99-07 classic trucks, if you mount a heavier radio underneath your HVAC controls, you can have that plastic piece pop out. Eventually if it keeps popping out, you have to bolt it up. All I had was a cobra 29'er on there which isn't exactly light. Plus a lot of rough off-roading since we use cb's for 'yote huntin!
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light

Former Member

Since the floor is hollow, I bought a saw tooth mount that simply sits on the floor...it works well.

I also drilled the roof and installed a Wilson 5000. SWR is 1:1, works excellent.

Here is how I mounted the radio in my 03. Again, it's a ham radio but the principle is the same.

Now, in my Explorer, I went a bit more "custom". I bought a replacement console to butcher up so that when I sold it, it wouldn't have a bunch of holes all over the center console.

Face plate and speaker up front...

Radio RF Deck in the rear inside the panel:

"It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Former Member

FWIW, the truck's electronics do not seem to be affected by 100 watts of PEP at 27Mhz. But the signal is very clean.

Since you guys all have a cb in your truck what kind would you recommend
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12