GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Found this chart. This is basically where Im at for rpms with the 3.42 gearing
    The chart below looks at these same figures but assumes you have installed the larger LT315/70/17 tires or any other 34"/35" diameter tire.
    Gear Ratio 4L80E @ 60 mph 6L80E @ 60 mph 4L80E @ 70 mph 6L80E @ 70 mph
    3.08 1331 1189 1552 1387
    3.42 1477 1320 1724 1540
    3.73 1611 1440 1880 1679
    4.10 1771 1582 2071 1846
    4.56 1970 1760 2298 2053

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

1320 rpms at 60mph will not keep it in 6th gear on flat highway. Maybe if it was a big block or something but its only a 5.3l

remember these rpm numbers are with the tranny in a 1:1 ratio, so not in 6th gear. and with an auto there will be a little fluctuation due to torque converter.

Sorry about the issues and hopefully the tranny doesnt go prematurely, but if they will cover it. you definately want to get 4.10's in there for overall performance as you are making the tranny work real hard.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I hadn't realized it but the trans. in the chart is not whats in my truck but the rpms are close to what Im at and the chart is for OD.
    The 4L70E transmission is the same as a 4L60e other than a speed sensor located in the pump. This transmission uses the name designation to signify it is stronger than a 4L60 or 65, but in reality this is not true. Even if shifting more efficiently due to improved input to the vehicle PCM could help, it wouldn't give more beef to the clutch packs, and this is where the damage is caused by weight overload. So basically don't expect anything more than what a Chevy always delivered in OD.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

ok, I just assumed it was in 1:1 as everyone I have used/looked at was. but good luck with the dealership as it probably wont ever happen, but 4.10's would serve you better as you already know.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Nice work all
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Well I pretty much heard what I thought I was going to hear. I will never get GM to regear the truck. They pretty much avoided my insistance on the fact that the larger tires is dropping the rpm's too much and making it sluggish. The technician that took it for a ride said that the transmission has to learn my driving habits and that it will take about 6-7000 miles to do that. He said that each time it goes through a driving cycle it constantly is changing values in the transmision. It looks at throttle position, rpms, speed ect. ect. blah blah blah...is basically what I got. He told me to bring it back after another few thousand miles and we will relook at the situation. I explained that I dont doubt that the transmission is working properly. Im just trying to explain that the rpms are not where they should be because of the tires. When I say that I get "yeah those are pretty big tires" when I mention 11 mpg I get " you are driving a red brick wall down the road." He also told me that the 4L70e that is in my truck is bullet proof and told me that I will not break it. It will shift through to 5th gear at 35-40mph and that is normal. If you want to go he said just "step on it" So in short my next call is to Rocky Ridge to let them know that the transmision is working properly and just see what they say about my concerns with the gearing. Ive seen these trucks go for as much as 65k and If I spent that I would be even more peed off than I already am.

The tech. also scanned my truck and it had no codes showing and also had no history in it. Then I asked him if it was set correctly for the tires and he couldnt even find that with his scanner. So I dont know maybe I will get another opinion from another dealership. Although my visit today didnt cost me anything. I dont think he was up on the ins and outs of programming the trucks he was just a transmission tech.

On a good note though I asked about putting an aftermarket rear diff cover on and asked about my CAI that I installed and the tech told me that this dealership is pretty leniant on aftermarket add-ons. He said that you can pretty much do anything to your truck as long as its not what causes a problem for a warranty claim. So Like I said previously that it may be awhile before I get any resolve if any at all. At least my concern is noted at 3200 miles so if my transmission ever has a problem, I Warned Them.
    I just want to jump in here and say that your technician is a bit mistaken if he thinks your truck has a 4L70e in it. Any GM transmission that has 6 speeds like yours will start with a 6, not a 4... and the one in your truck will be a 6L80E. It probably doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but any GM tech that tells me something like that about the wrong transmission would be somebody whose word I would definitely take with a grain of salt.

Also for the record, anyone who has a 4 speed transmission, this scenario is roughly equivalent to having a 5.3 with 3.73 gears and the 4 speed transmission. 4.10's with a 6 speed would be roughly the same as 4.56's with a 4 speed, in terms of gear sets that are actually available.

Anyway, I hope that this situation works out for the best for you Phantom. I guess worst case scenario is that other people here learn from your situation and know about gearing when they go to buy trucks.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    I just want to jump in here and say that your technician is a bit mistaken if he thinks your truck has a 4L70e in it. Any GM transmission that has 6 speeds like yours will start with a 6, not a 4... and the one in your truck will be a 6L80E. It probably doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but any GM tech that tells me something like that about the wrong transmission would be somebody whose word I would definitely take with a grain of salt.

Also for the record, anyone who has a 4 speed transmission, this scenario is roughly equivalent to having a 5.3 with 3.73 gears and the 4 speed transmission. 4.10's with a 6 speed would be roughly the same as 4.56's with a 4 speed, in terms of gear sets that are actually available.

Anyway, I hope that this situation works out for the best for you Phantom. I guess worst case scenario is that other people here learn from your situation and know about gearing when they go to buy trucks.
    Ya know, I was thinking about that after I posted that. I am beginning to think the guy was not as knowledgable as he led on for me to believe. Im not as educated on some of this stuff as much as I wish I was before I bought this truck. I guess I should have joined GMTC before I bought this sort of headache.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Great thread very informative.
    2012 Silver Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab LT 6.2L 400+hp, Hypertech, K&N CAI, tent, AVS
    2012 Black Harley Davidson Fat Bob 103 engine, Willie G
    2011 Silver Infiniti QX56, 400+hp
    2009 Lime Green Kawasaki KFX 450, Moose armor, GNCC
    2007 Red Polaris 500 X2
    2009 Lime Green Kawasaki Ninja 250
    PAST VEHICLES
    2009 Infiniti G37X, Stillen CAI, Magnaflow, 2007 Infiniti 370GT, 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z82 Crew Cab LTZ AMerican Luxury Coach conversion, Fabtech lift, 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ old body style, 2008 Nissan Armada, 2003 Yamaha YZFR1, 2007 Honda VTX 1800, 1993 Chevy S-10 over 350,000 miles on orig motor and trans

After a little searching heres what I found for the 6spd Automatic transmission presently used in Silverado trucks:

Hydramatic 6L80 Six Speed Automatic (MYC)

Type:
    Six speed RWD / AWD, electronically controlled automatic overdrive transmission with torque converter clutch. Clutch-to-clutch architecture, with integral Electro / Hydraulic Controls Module

Maximum engine power:
    469 bhp ( 349 kW )

Maximum engine torque:
    439 lb-ft ( 595 Nm )

Maximum gearbox torque:
    664 lb-ft ( 900 Nm )

Gear ratios:
    MYC

First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Fifth:

Sixth:

Reverse:

Maximum shift speed
    6500 rpm

Maximum Validated Weights: ( Target )
    GVW: 8600 lb ( 3901 kg ), GCVW: 14000 lb ( 6350 kg )

7-position quadrant:
    P, R, N, D, X, X, X ( X = available calibratable range position )

Case description:
    3-piece ( Bell, main, extension )

Case material:
    die cast aluminum

Shift pattern:
    (2) Three-way on/off solenoids

Shift quality:
    Five variable bleed solenoid

Torque converter clutch:
    Variable Bleed Solenoid ECCC

Converter size:
    300mm ( reference )

Fluid type:
    DEXRONŽ VI

Fluid capacity: w/ 258 & 300mm converter
    258mm: 9.7L ( 8.22kg ), 300mm: 11.9L ( 10.1kg )

Transmission weight: w/ 258 & 300mm converter
    258mm: Wet: 94-96kg ( 207-211lb )
    300mm: Wet: 102-104kg ( 225-229lb )

Pressure taps available:
    line pressure

Assembly Site:
    GMPT Toledo, OH
    GMPT Silao, MX

Applications:

Chevrolet Corvette
    Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe and Convertible
    Chevrolet Avalanche
    Chevrolet Silverado
    Chevrolet Suburban
    Chevrolet Tahoe
    GMC Sierra
    GMC Yukon, Yukon Xl
    Cadillac Escalade, ESV and EXT
    Chevrolet Caprice PPV

Available Control Features:
    Multiple Shift Patterns ( Selectable)
    Driver Shift Control ( Tap Up / Tap Down )
    Enhanced Performance Algorithm Shifting ( PAS )
    Selectable Tow / Haul Mode
    Engine Torque Management On All Shifts
    Altitude and Temperature Compensation
    Adaptive Shift Time
    Neutral Idle
    Reverse Lockout
    Automatic Grade Braking

Additional Features:
    OBDII / EOBD
    Integral Electro/Hydraulic Controls Module ( Tehcm )
    Control Interface Protocol - GMLAN

All information is direct from the GM Powertrain website http://gmpowertrain.com/PowertrainOverview.aspx

So I spoke with an engineer at Rocky Ridge today and he is claiming with the thousands of trucks they have put out they have not had any driveability complaints such as mine. I can not believe that no one else has not noticed this issue. I can not get a straight opinion from a dealer on adding this size tires to the stock gearing except for "Your transmission is shifting correctly" basically avoiding the real issue. I can not believe there is no one else on this sight that has a Rocky Ridge truck. I guess I just got bent over the sales counter once again and basically told to DEAL WITH IT!!!! Oh yeah and to top that off. He also told me that the computuer was locked so no tuners can be hooked up to it to change the tire size/gear ratio. He told me I would have to send him the computer to have it done. Sorry to say but this will be the LAST GM product I probably ever buy. Ive had 12 chevrolet vehicles over the past 22 years I have been driving, and was planning on buying a new Camaro in 3 more years. I wonder if the upgrades to the Camaros that they send out to have done are missing a puzzle piece too. Well I threw those plans in the circular file and going to look elsewhere. I know all automakers have their issues. But this is BS. They havent heard the last of me. I have to wait 2-3k miles so the Transmission can learn my driving habits. Yeak ok, The trucks going to learn that when Im doing 70mph on a flat expressway that It shouldnt be shifting into 5th gear even if it doesnt have the power in 6th to stay at 70mph. What a crock of #%$#. Maybe every time I make a truck payment I will call GM and ask them if they fixed the issue yet. I dont know...... To Be Continued.
    Last edited by the phantom; 05-14-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Bump-Update. Well I called GM about the gearing issue and they told me I have to take it up with the aftermarket company that installed the lift and tires. They said that they "are" an approved aftermarket company for GM but anything that they install the dealer has to submit warranty issues to them directly and if its not related to what they installed then GM will take care of it. I exlplained to them that theyre "Approved Upfit company" does not do a very good job at putting a "complete" package together. Also I ranted about the lack of using good heat sink butt connectors when they installed the off road lights. When I took the lights off they had 1 crimped butt connector with all the wires going into it and some wire exposed already showing corrosion. So I then called Rocky Ridge and they told me that with installing the larger diameter tires that they were still within GM specs. and that they are not going to regear for me. They did say that if I want to regear it myself I would have to send them my tuner and my computer out of my truck so they could unlock the computer so I can change the gear setting in the computer. They told me they locked it down so when a dealer scans my computer it doesnt return to the stock tire size. (this also upset me that it was locked but I understand why they did it) So at this point I am removing all Rocky Ridge decals from my truck as to not advertise for a company that does not put a complete package together. So I am retaining the name of my truck and will keep the truck for a long time. Unfortunately in my opinion this experience has given GM a black eye (because they approved this package) and I probably will not purchase another NEW GM product again. Like I said in an earlier post ive been a GM guy since Ive been driving at the age of 18. I still like theyre styles and looks of vehicles but at some point it has to go beyond that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234