GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Wheel paint suggestions needed

Earlier this year I painted my wheels black which I think looks good but I am suffering a few scratches & will have a few days off soon so thinking about changing them up. Since my black doesn't really match the black of the truck nor look flat or matte, I was thinking about painting them with the graphite color wheel paint (Did this to my Mustang black to graphite & it covered & held up well with a slight change in color) The real suggestion I need is I don't want the wheel lip to be the same color I had left the stock silver on the Mustang & it looked good & helped when having a flat fixed, but I'm thinking about going with a red lip if I can find a high temp gloss red seems like everything is flat. Any suggestions on this matter? Thanks
    2007 Silverado RS, 4.8 V8, 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown
    Black painted front grille & bumper
    Black / red Painted bowties
    Black 18in. Silverado wheels
    Black / Red interior conversion (in process)
    89 Chevy Sport tribute decals

Ever thought about Powder Coating?
    Looks real sharp and most powder coaters have many shades to choose from, not as expensive as you'd think either.
    I'm actually contemplating doing the backside of my factory wheels with a powdercoat in Chrome Yellow to match some pinstripe work I want to do on the body in the same color, should be a good contrast to my silver paint.

I would like to see pictures of that finished sounds cool & a different idea. I would actually perfer having them powdercoated because its a stronger coating than paint, but I can't find anyone locally, I've been thinking about getting my own powdercoating kit for this reason. I need to dig arround a little deeper arround here I'm sure there has got to be someone powdercoating. Thanks for the suggestion
    2007 Silverado RS, 4.8 V8, 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown
    Black painted front grille & bumper
    Black / red Painted bowties
    Black 18in. Silverado wheels
    Black / Red interior conversion (in process)
    89 Chevy Sport tribute decals

A powdercoating set up isn't all that much money. For many the sticking point is the stove to heat up the powder. And No you can't just use your kitchen oven to bake the parts.

Poweder coating is def, the way to go. Paint is cool for color matching though.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Mine are plastdipped and the look the same as when I painted them over 8 months ago
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Ever thought about Powder Coating?
    Looks real sharp and most powder coaters have many shades to choose from, not as expensive as you'd think either.
    I'm actually contemplating doing the backside of my factory wheels with a powdercoat in Chrome Yellow to match some pinstripe work I want to do on the body in the same color, should be a good contrast to my silver paint.

I was going to say this same thing. It doesn't tend to be all the expensive and will hold up to heat and abuse. They can also do several different colors and can do the same thing to your edge you're looking at.

I know there are some powdercoaters that you can ship your stuff to and they'll ship it back, though granted that means you're without wheels in the interim.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Legend

I just did a set of 02 suburban wheels for my pickup, i got a medium scuff wheel for the drill some 120 and 220 grit sandpaper. Sanded them down really good and got all the corrosion off the rim. then i just used the rustoleum X2 paint series for the prime, paint and clear coat. Its all about prep. i dont think spending the extra money on the actual wheel paint is worth it plus they dont have as wide of color range and i couldnt find a matte finish clear coat either. so I primed really good then put on several thin layers of rustoleum canyon black satin finish then 2 coats of matte finish clear coat. this was about a $20 project for all supplies and paint (and my time and elbow grease). i thought about powdercoating but it is about about 100 a wheel to get it done.....I am very happy with the results considering it was the first time i did it, you can check out how to vids on youtube thats what I did.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Mechanic

Have someone powdercoat them! Shouldn't be more than 50 bucks a wheel and will last forever.