GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Turbo upgrade??

Default Turbo upgrade??

Iím looking at doing a turbo swap on my 96 dually. But I canít find any info on the swaps. I was told the holset turbo hx35 and hx40 will fit. What will have to be changed to make these turboís work on my dually?
    2000 Ls s10 V8 extended cab drag truck
    1999 s10 Ls Droped 2.2L
    1998 s10 blazer red stock

1985 s10 blazer 5 speed v8
    1982 4X4 355ci 450hp k1500 trail truck
    1978 4x4 short bed F150 460ci 540hp mud truck on 38.5 super swampers boggers

Going to largely depend on whether or not you use one with/without a wastegate and if so, what psi it is set to. The computer is going to try and regulate boost no matter what, so if you are looking to build more than the stock 7-10 range you're going to need to reprogram the PCM to allow more, if it can't dump the boost via the control solenoid (dropping vacuum to the wastegate), it's going to defuel to prevent it from over boosting. You'll have a couple extra psi to play with above the 7-10 range; but if it wants to regularly run higher, and you don't "fix" it to keep it in stock range, it will likely keep throwing over-boost codes.

The stock GM-8 you have will easily produce more boost if it's reprogrammed and you throw a bigger exhaust on the truck and lower restriction filter. More boost without remapping the fuel rate and injection timing is pretty much a waste. Don't waste your time with any sort of Ebay specials as a means to do this either.
    Have You Smoked A Hemi Lately? Why, Yes I Have!
    2008 Sierra RC/SB, Iron Block 5.3L(LMG)
    , 3.42, Locking Diff, HD Cooling, HD Suspension, Towing Package.
    Raptor Stainless Steel Step Bars, Folding Tonneau Cover, DiabloSport Predator

Asphalt animal said it nicely. If your going to upgrade the turbo it's a must to get a re tune. I prefer a waste gate on a desiel, for performance reason and they sound awesome. Upgrade intake and exhaust before the tune as well so you can get the proper flow
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Plus 1 on what they said. I would do the flow upgrades first, just to see if that doesn't solve your immediate thirst for thrust! Diesel engines work best without backprressure, unlike gas motors.
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

Thanks for the info guys