GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I'd almost thate to see about what Enkei thinks of my gear, lol.

If the voice coil is damaged from heat, which is the most likely avenue (your amplifier was pushed too far and as a result of clipping, you over drove the voice coil to the point of melting the insulation on in the voice coil wiring), you can easily isolate the problem from other possible sources by doing what another person suggested: take out sub woofer and hook wires to it, and one wire to a terminal on a battery (C, D, AA, or 9 volt will work), then touch the other wire to the other battery terminal. The noise should be audible from this test. If not, you have a problem elsewhere in your system.

A sub woofer in a non sealed enclosure is more prone to damage from over driving it.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
    If the voice coil is damaged from heat, which is the most likely avenue (your amplifier was pushed too far and as a result of clipping, you over drove the voice coil to the point of melting the insulation on in the voice coil wiring), you can easily isolate the problem from other possible sources by doing what another person suggested: take out sub woofer and hook wires to it, and one wire to a terminal on a battery (C, D, AA, or 9 volt will work), then touch the other wire to the other battery terminal. The noise should be audible from this test. If not, you have a problem elsewhere in your system.

A sub woofer in a non sealed enclosure is more prone to damage from over driving it.
    my amp was not even set on half way so i dont think it is that but i think me and my buddy figuered out the problem. the cone is made of a metal and it looks like there is a big indent in the center of it. we think that is what is causeing it but we are calling out to alpine tmr and see what they say.

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

That should be just a dust cover. Take your hands hold the sub with both at 3 and 9pm. Use your thumbs and push the woofer. Do you feel or hear a scraping noise?

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I'd almost thate to see about what Enkei thinks of my gear, lol.
    Everything looks OK But the Infinity speakers....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Everything looks OK But the Infinity speakers....
    That's not surprising; they're bright. Do you have some 6.5" components you recommend for use up front? How about some 4x6 component plates for use in the rear? I've already modified my front and rear door panels to account for these sizes ... and have no interest in modifying them yet again, so if I'm going to upgrade then the upgrade MUST be the same size/shape.

Legend

Focal or Jl Audio.. Most JL 4in speakers come with a 4x6 plate to mount them.. www.jlaudio.com
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Focal or Jl Audio.. Most JL 4in speakers come with a 4x6 plate to mount them.. www.jlaudio.com
    You usually mention those. I was curious about specific models, not just brands. I'm asking because I know you've experienced quite a few speakers, personally ... so a personal testimony to a particular model would mean a lot.

Legend

for the power you have the C5's would sound great...

C5s are really good speakers.

so alpine is going to cover the sub under warranty and i was looking at selling the type r thin sub and just going to a normal size would there be any differents in the bass from a thin to a normal type r or just keep what i got coming from warranty

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast