GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Manual mode?

Default Manual mode?

My new 2500HD has a function to switch to a manual transmission with + & - buttons to shift through the gears. I used to drive stick and understand that you can get better fuel millage. Is this what that function is for? Also I tow a camper from time to time would it be useful to use that mode while towing?

not sure how much it will help with mileage, its more so to give you more control when towing. if the transmission is shifting alot, you can switch it to manual and do it yourself, or set it in manual and pick a gear and it wont shift any higher, M4 selected and the transmission will auto shift from 1-4, you can also do it yourself.

hope this helps.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I use it to keep the transmission from shifting into the overdrive gears, sometimes, all you need is the first 4 gears.

The PCM is tuned to shift at the best point for conditions and load, with economy always a consideration. Just my 2 cents, but I don't think you can improve the equation by shifting yourself.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Former Member

Its just buttons that do what the selector did in previous versions...if you put it in "M-4", the transmission will only use the first four gears, "M-5" it uses only the first five gears. I find it really handy on little two land back roads where you don't really ever hit 35mph, keeps the trans from shifting out of its useable range..."M-4" seems to be the sweet spot, especially in tow/haul on those goat paths.

Its not a "manual shift" that you start in first and shift "manually" through the gears...