GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default TBI 40HP upgrade kit. Has anyone heard of or done this?

Irecentl came across this kit on the internet that clams you will gain about 40HP on your TBI engine. It has something to do with replacing your fuel pressure regulator spring with a different one and adding some kind of throttle body spacer. The link to the kit I found is listed below. Has anyone heard of or done this kind of thing before. Also is this bad to do, will it hurt anything in my fuel system? It says it mkes the system run at about 14psi with the upgade.

Thank for your time and help all!

Link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-TBI-40hp-...d752d9&vxp=mtr
    1995 C1500 4.3L 2WD. JET TBI Spacer, JET stage 1 chip, 10mm Taylor custom wires, Pulstar Iridium Pulse Plugs.
    260k miles and still going strong...

I call BS. There's no way your gonna get 40 horses by just doing what they describe. You notice how they say up to 40 hp not you will get 40 hp.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

I doubt you will get 40hp from this. Not to get to far off topic but why does everyone that buys something on ebay leave feedback for things like this before they even try it?! Or they just say great ebayer shipped quick blah blah blah. If the thing works like it says then leave the feedback saying that so future buyers know if its worth it or not. Ive learned my lesson.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

i had looked at those throttle body spacers for a 92 GMC 1/2 ton before because they claim to add HP and fuel mileage but looking at different reviews and talking to people that have them on their trucks/cars, it seems they dont do hardly anything. Unless that spring is going to give you 40 HP, i wouldnt bother with it.

5.7L 350| .420 Cam | Bored 0.030 | Edelbrock intake manifold | 600 Cfm Edelbrock Carburetor | Long tube headers | Shift kit | Chrome dress up kit | Flowmaster 40's exhaust | Edelbrock heads | Custom paint
    SOLD

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

HONORARY CANUCK

Sr. Apprentice

Speaking as one of those guys that actually has these things under the hood - in my K1500 and my TransAm - they do help but they are not worth 40HP to a STOCK engine. Follow the 3rd generation F-body crowd around and familiarize yourselves with the inadequate Rochester 220 TBI systems the 305s and 350s were given as a stock platform. Frankly a lot of this stuff came from that crowd.. in search of lower quarter mile times. :D The cars and trucks shared a lot of the same tech, and it all applies. The ad isn't misleading. It just isn't disclosing to you that you should already have a cam, headers, full exhaust, cylinder head work... etc.

The stock 220 TBI on a GM 305/350 flows 480cfm (42mm). The spacer increases cfms slightly by raising the pods out of the bores. This is the first step to optimizing the TBI, without doing any grinding or machining; which will further increase the TBI to a max of 46mm (600cfm)

That spring is the fuel pressure regulator spring. Stock for a 305/350 is 12psi. Increasing the fuel pressure to 14psi (max for a stock pump), will allow it to flow similar to the 350 Police Interceptor injectors, which were "hotter". 55 lbs/hr vs 61 lbs/hr.

You'll only see 40hp from these gains if you've upgraded a few other things, but they DO help stock setups. Its the next step after installing headers and a full exhaust. In short, adding more air and fuel after opening up the exhaust.

Seriously, it's like the air filter and tuner ads... MORE POWER.. MORE POWER... UP TO 70HP by installing this.
    *You gained 70HP by installing that item on an engine that was built to the point that the stock component was the bottle neck.*
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I have never heard of anyone liking a spacer.. Seen many Cons on it and No pros.....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Strino78
    Speaking as one of those guys that actually has these things under the hood - in my K1500 and my TransAm - they do help but they are not worth 40HP to a STOCK engine. Follow the 3rd generation F-body crowd around and familiarize yourselves with the inadequate Rochester 220 TBI systems the 305s and 350s were given as a stock platform. Frankly a lot of this stuff came from that crowd.. in search of lower quarter mile times. :D The cars and trucks shared a lot of the same tech, and it all applies. The ad isn't misleading. It just isn't disclosing to you that you should already have a cam, headers, full exhaust, cylinder head work... etc.

The stock 220 TBI on a GM 305/350 flows 480cfm (42mm). The spacer increases cfms slightly by raising the pods out of the bores. This is the first step to optimizing the TBI, without doing any grinding or machining; which will further increase the TBI to a max of 46mm (600cfm)

That spring is the fuel pressure regulator spring. Stock for a 305/350 is 12psi. Increasing the fuel pressure to 14psi (max for a stock pump), will allow it to flow similar to the 350 Police Interceptor injectors, which were "hotter". 55 lbs/hr vs 61 lbs/hr.

You'll only see 40hp from these gains if you've upgraded a few other things, but they DO help stock setups. Its the next step after installing headers and a full exhaust. In short, adding more air and fuel after opening up the exhaust.

Seriously, it's like the air filter and tuner ads... MORE POWER.. MORE POWER... UP TO 70HP by installing this.
    *You gained 70HP by installing that item on an engine that was built to the point that the stock component was the bottle neck.*
    We need more guys posting like this lol I actually learned something today :D

Sr. Apprentice

It is an injector pod spacer not a TBI spacer there's a difference. There's distinct differences between spacing the injector pods and the whole TBI unit. Throttle Body spacers only work well on the older systems, and have little to no-effect on modern throttle body/multi-port/gdi injection systems .

These are improvements for the older (pre-1996) TBI engines. Say what you want about them working or not... but they do work, and will work exceptionally well if the rest of your engine supports the additional air and fuel.

I attribute all the negative feedback to people that dump money into performance parts without understanding how they work, and not having the supporting modifications to justify needing more air and fuel.
    Last edited by Strino78; 05-18-2012 at 11:23 AM.

I DID learn the difference... While reading your last post... Ty.......

Sr. Apprentice

I wasn't trying to talk down to anyone. I missed that sentence in proof reading. It is a broken/incorrect sentence fragment... my wording got muddled. I've edited the comment --- it wasn't what I intended to say... a parallel thought got jumbled into it.

Sorry about that, and hopefully no hard feelings.
    Last edited by Strino78; 05-18-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by