GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Former Member

Default Where do I start looking? $35 "Camper" wiring option?

Ok, this truck supposedly came with the "camper" wiring (I assume this is the in-bed 5th wheel wiring?) along with the HD Towing Package, I'm guessing this is what that $35 thing is...before I start guessing where it might be, does anyone know where that wiring is located? I've searched and nothing popped up.

The only camping wiring I've ever seen was a pigtail for a trailer hook up on the class 2 reciever and GM charges much more than $35 for it.
    Normally any 5th Wheel or bed style camper is aftermarket.

I pulled this off the GMC website, I don't have a 5th wheel just a tag a long camper but will check mine later so see where it is

Help ensure a hassle-free hookup to your camper, fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer. Included is an additional 7-way wiring harness routed to the front of the pickup box for easy connection to front-mounted trailer wiring. Heavy-duty trailering equipment is required.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4WD/Z71 Crew Cab Gray Green Metallic 6.0 Gas 6spd Auto 3.73 gears, HD locking rear differential. 18"Alum Wheels (Stock) Stock Michelin LTX AT-II Tires, Banks Monster Exhaust, Westin Platinum SS Oval Step Bars, EGR Window Deflectors, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Front and back Weathertech Digitech liners. Factory Remote Start with Onstar App on iPhone.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE Black 4WD 4.2 175,000 Miles all original drivetrain and runs like a champ and no rust or rot!

You're right that the camper wiring is the 5th wheel wiring in the bed. GM runs it to the bed (usually somewhere in the front left corner and probably tucked behind or under that pocket in the corner, or somewhere that you would be able to see by looking up from the bottom of the bed.

They don't include a connector though, so you'll need to install an aftermarket connector. They just save you the hassle of running the wires yourself.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Former Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info, at least I know where to start looking. I plan to use this wiring harness for auxiliary lights, etc...that way I don't splice into the truck wiring! I do have this, its listed on the window sticker. I was just concerned that this wasn't a plug-n-play harness that was missing from the glovebox...if it was, I was going to stop by the dealer and inquire where it was!

That wiring harness won't handle big auxillary driving lights. It's probably somewhere around a 12-14 gauge wire, and you're sharing that line with the camper and the battery on it. If you're just adding little led lighting for turn signals and the like, that's cool, but I wouldn't put any 55w lights on it or anything...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Former Member

Yeah, just some LEDs on the toolbox. Nothing fancy, maybe some high mount backup lights? But mainly LED running lights.

Former Member

FYI, the "camper wiring" (that $35 option on your sticker) is a batch of wiring wrapped up under the bed, on top of the fuel tank (front left corner of the bed)...I found it today, didn't do anything with it; but I did find it.

I plan to use this wiring for marker lights on my toolbox...it should work well.

Former Member

I got around to installing the in-bed RV plug receptacle and LEDs this weekend. That bundle of wiring is about six feet long...in a std bed, there is enough to stretch up the front of the bed, over the top rail, to the center of the wheel well. It has a explanation of the color coding (which is standard trailer wiring colors), of which the 12-volt feed, trailer brake, and ground are 10ga wire while the rest appear to be 14ga or 16ga wire.

Hooked up the RV receptacle, ran the wiring from under the truck, through the truck bed, into the bottom of my toolbox and into a piece of conduit...from there it snakes to the front of the box and to the receptacle. I hate most of the trailer wiring products on the market because they are typically pretty cheaply made...this receptacle was no different and I ended up bending the wire retaining clips. So I soldered spade terminals onto the wires and placed them under the screws of the receptacle, negating the need for the clips. I also added pigtail leads to the ground, tail, and turn (which are also the brake) for use on my LEDs. The other thing that was frustrating was the receptacle I bought had a paper wiring diagram AND colors molded into the terminal lugs...the colors, which one would think would match standard trailer wiring, did not match up the the paper diagram. And to complicate further, which side of the receptacle is it referencing...the front with the terminals or the screw lugs on the back??? Well, we decided it referenced the front, then we checked for continuity between the OE receptacle in the bumper and the new one...they matched, and the lights work!

If you ever intend to add lights or use a 5vr, that $35 add-on is worth the extra $$ since there is no splicing into the truck wiring. Now for the RAP wiring...