GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 07 chevy classic with a blown motor?

I have a 2007 chevy silverado classic 1500 with the 5.3L V8. I have a 6 inch lift in it with over sized tires on it. I hit a water puddle and filled the intake with water. I checked the codes on the motor because it would not run. the code came back as a crank sencer not sending a signal. i pulled the sencer and it was broke off inside the motor.. i replaced the crank sencor and the truck fired up. But its not picking up any oil pressure and has a nasty sounding knock coming out of the exhaust. It has true dual straight pipe exhaust with no mufflers. i have already put money into buying the crank sencor and dont know when to give up and buy a new or rebuild instead of trouble shooting the problem.

could the exhaust be magnifing the knock from possible lack of oil to the top end of the motor from maybe a valve or a lifter?
    What whould cause the oil pump to fail at the same time as the crank sensor?
    is it possible that the oil pump being out is causing the knock?
    should i give up on trying to fix the motor and find a new one?
    If so i found a motor from a 02 chevy to drop in mine for $250 if i pull it myself, would that be better then trying to fix the one i have

If you are running the stock gauge you might have a bad sending unit or it just came disconnected, as for the knock comming out of your exhaust I am not sure. You might check all of your spark plugs and wires, you might have a dead cylinder. If it was a rod you would hear the knock comming from your lowere engine. I had a crack in an exhaust manifold and it sounded like a bad lifter. Until you figure out if you have a bad oil pressure sending unit I wouldn't run it
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!

I have a dead cylinder but its on the other side of the motor. i have true dual straight pipes and the knock is coming out of the passenger side exhaust pipe and the computer says the number 7 cylinder is dead and that is the back driver side. i hit a water puddle in a bad storm this weekend and i have an after market K&N cold air intake and a throttle body spacer and i hit a puddle on a flooded street and it died as i went through. then it wouldnt run and threw the crank sencor code. after replacing the sencor the mechanic said its not reading any oil pressure so i might have spun a bearing. but if i did sipn a bearing would it read nothing for pressure or would it just read very low? and could my exhaust with no mufflers amplify the knoc kto make it sound more severe?

Jr. Mechanic

My friend did the exact same thing to his 03, and had to get a new engine in it. But he got a 09 engine from a tahoe so he got the aluminum block 5.3.
    2003 K1500HD-Straight Pipe, Drop -In K&N Filter, 3" Lift Soon, H2 Rims
    1993 C1500 ECSB- Open Headers, Performance Shift Kit

i found a motor for $250-$300 if i pull it myself but its out of an 02 so i dont know it the will match up.

Quote Originally Posted by mud_slut View Post
    I have a dead cylinder but its on the other side of the motor. i have true dual straight pipes and the knock is coming out of the passenger side exhaust pipe and the computer says the number 7 cylinder is dead and that is the back driver side. i hit a water puddle in a bad storm this weekend and i have an after market K&N cold air intake and a throttle body spacer and i hit a puddle on a flooded street and it died as i went through. then it wouldnt run and threw the crank sencor code. after replacing the sencor the mechanic said its not reading any oil pressure so i might have spun a bearing. but if i did sipn a bearing would it read nothing for pressure or would it just read very low? and could my exhaust with no mufflers amplify the knoc kto make it sound more severe?
    You should still have some oil pressure, unless you broke the pump drive. I am not sure how the newer pump drives are set up I am used to the older engines. Did you get water into the oil?

The oil looks fine. im not sure if it would be possible for the end of the crank sencor that broke off to cause trouble with the oil pump or not. Because if the oil pump is bad that might be y i have a knock. but if i am getting pressure but the sensor is messed up then that wtill wont solve the knock.. but idk how the new pumps work.

Too bad I am not closer, I would come and see if I could help figure out whats going on. Find where you oil pressure sensor is and pull it out and crank it over, see if you get oil.
    If you get oil then I would get a stethoscope or a screw driver and find out where the knock is coming from.
    It doesn't seem that you should have spun a bearing from hitting a water puddle, but you never know. You could have broke a piston or bent a valve.

Not sure where the oil pressure sending unit is but try to take it out and put a gauge in that spot to see if and how much pressure you have. If it were my truck and I already knew I was down a cylinder I would get the other motor and rebuild it than install it. I am not a big fan of installing old stuff that I don't know the history of. Since it sounds like you are pretty rough on motors I would want to make sure I do it right the first time.

First off with the indicators you posted I probably wouldnt even bother messing with this engine, if you think you sucked in water and you've got those issues any time or money spent short of pulling the engine is a waste.
    Water doesnt compress, plain and simple, when sucked in an internal combustion engine it destroys parts that are trying to compress it.
    You could have a bad #7 cyl., that doesnt mean you didnt destroy a valve, piston, or rings on the other side. Water in the intake doesnt normally go down 1 cylinder, its equal oppourtunity and tries to go into all of them.
    A spun bearing is also a possibility if the piston was compressing water and put to much force on the crank shaft, weid things happen when water is introduced to an engine.
    I'd pull this engine and start a teardown to see whats salvageable, If you can hold off on the 02 block untill you see whats what with your engine, if it's the same engine you might be able to rebuild 1 good engine out of the two, maybe using manifolds and such from yours and the block from the other.
    But first you need a tear down to see what you've got.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by