GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Cracked leather?

Hello all:

New owner of a 94 which is in great condition & excellent preventative maintenance done.

Back 2 rows leather (factory light brown) are great but the drivers & passengers have lots of cracks. One day I want to try a real leather re-dye w/ some high quality dye, filler, sanding, all the good stuff but that is $200 worth of supplies & a lot of labor. For now, has anyone has good experience w/ any "cheap" crack dye filler that will get the color "close" so at least at a glance it doesn't look too bad?

Thanks!!

JKK

Welcome to the site
    I think there will be guys here that can answer your question. I never had that problem before
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jkk View Post
    Hello all:

New owner of a 94 which is in great condition & excellent preventative maintenance done.

Back 2 rows leather (factory light brown) are great but the drivers & passengers have lots of cracks. One day I want to try a real leather re-dye w/ some high quality dye, filler, sanding, all the good stuff but that is $200 worth of supplies & a lot of labor. For now, has anyone has good experience w/ any "cheap" crack dye filler that will get the color "close" so at least at a glance it doesn't look too bad?

Thanks!!

JKK

I've got the exact same question with regards to my "new" 1990 Sub.

Looking forward to some tips!

I've seen the stuff work pretty well, my parents used stuff they picked up in some auto parts store on the leather in an old oldsmobile they had. I actually was pretty amazed how well it looked after the fact.

If you plan on a renovation project in the future, (if it were me) I'd go down to my local Auto Zone or Pepboys and just see what they have and get a tube of it that's pretty close and just try it out.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I found this on a site called buzzle.com (?)

Leather Repair Kits

If your leather has a tiny tear and it's not highly visible, (and if the color is black) any leather repair kit should be sufficient if you follow directions.

However, there are a couple of things to be aware of in case you run into problems. The repair material may not bond well with the leather. This happens if the leather is old or if the heating element supplied with the kit (if it's included) is not hot enough.

Usually, a leather repair kit will contain grain papers that you rub over the repaired area to imprint a grain-like finish. The idea is that the grain will resemble that of the original undamaged leather as much as possible.

Some grain papers are also pigmented. It's difficult to match color but it's even more difficult if the leather is old. Experts say that unless the leather color is black, the repair will show.

You may need to place a small piece of cloth and padding under the tear to help hold the edges together. You can place a piece of material under the tear and glue it with the edges to be repaired as close together as possible. Hold the edges together while the adhesive dries, or use a hair dryer (very carefully) to speed up the process.

Using a leather repair kit will usually hide the tear and hopefully prevent further damage. The problem with using a leather repair kit is the damaged area will always be weaker. The other thing you can do of course is have someone replace the damaged section of leather and match the color professionally.

Just wondering if anyone's gotten around to one of these projects? Let us know, I'm interested in some before and after results.

Thumbs up update

Hi all,

The fronts seats in my 94 are too far gone & in lieu of spending big $ to recover have just gone w/ decent covers.

My 00' Jag XJ8 has very slight wear on driver's side & purchased a complete system from www.leatherique.com including rejuvenator & cleaner + a specific dye for this model/color. Their product is the best out there & are not cheap but you get what you pay for & when it comes to recovering leather, preventative maintenance is key! The beautiful cream leather in the Jag that is 8 years old is now factory new.

Hope this helps for all you leather interior truck guys out there!

Thanks.