GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wierd motor shake on k1500 350 tbi

so my motor shakes my truck while driving but at low rpm and is great during harder acceleration. im sure its a motor issues because it doesnt do it while cruising in neutral . Its also fine in park.. ill get a video up when i get a chance ...

What do you mean by shake? A vibration or a violent shake? Check your motor mounts as that would be the first thing I'd check

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Sr. Engineer

Universal joints. Check em
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

just did u joints .. and it had a tune up about 3 months ago .. how do i check my motor mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver8817 View Post
    just did u joints .. and it had a tune up about 3 months ago .. how do i check my motor mounts?
    Its not the U joints. If it cruises with no shakes in neutral, the driveshaft still turns when cruising so thats ruled out from the start. As to checking the motor mounts, open the hood and have someone put it in and out of gear R,N, and D. The motor should jerk from the transmission kicking in and out of gear. How much it would jerk I have no idea, but if the mounts are good, it shouldn't jerk much. Or if you can use an inspection mirror so look for cracks or any signs of wear use that.

However it could not be the motor mouts at all.

Read my disclaimer in my sig though.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

On some vehicles you can check motor mounts by brake reving the engine, dont try to break the tires loose just blip the throttle several times. Open the hood start engine put in drive hold brake and blip the throttle.watch the engine for excessive movement. Then put trans in reverse and try again. As a general rule your looking for more than a couple inches,if they are bad it SHOULD be obvious.

Sr. Engineer

rileyjr16, based my suggestion on the u-joints on the point the op made about shakes under load. Bad u-joints can present with several symptoms and one of them is exposed only under load. Maybe bad joints or or not lined up if a two piece shaft and especialy now that we know u-joints were replaced recently, all the more reason to double check them.

it was doing that before the u joints .. they were replaced because one failed .. and its almost like a wobble than a vibration

It doesn't shake when you are in neutral or park? You can rev the engine in park and no shake? If so, that rules out your engine.

You had a u joint fail? which one? And did you replace all of them on both front and rear shafts?

I would check them all first. A bad u joint can be rough under acceleration, and smooth out while coasting.
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

Sr. Engineer

Can you duplicate the shake while standing still. By that I mean are you able to put it in drive and while holding the brakes then put a load on the motor and get it to do it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast